Oil and Gas Lead Process Control Engineer
This role will work as part of our Systems and Solutions Business (SSB) team, and serves as the lead engineering resource of the project team that delivers process control systems in line with with RA process strategy and customers' goals and objectives. The purpose of the Oil and Gas Lead Process Control Engineer position is to lead/implement standard and complex process control solutions to successful completion while focusing on c ontinuous improvement of margin, customer satisfaction, schedule, quality and safety performance. This position is responsible for the overall technical design and technical scope of the systems and/or solutions in scope of the project. All solutions are to be designed and implemented in complete alignment with Rockwell standards, design rules and guidelines. The desired oil and gas industry domain expertise consists of understanding major oil and gas processes and unit operations, process control applications, plant-floor KPIs, and understanding industry trends regarding process control system technology usage to solve business problems.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Lead a technical team including other engineers, product business units(BUs), consultants, partners and Rockwell customers to provide process control systems that will improve efficiency, quality, and profitability.
- To establish design criteria and specifications for process control systems in accordance with the project requirements.
- Industry experience to draw from which provides intimate understanding of customer motives and business drivers
- Ensure that required prerequisites (e.g. design inputs, tools, documentation, deliverables, schedule, budget) are in place prior to commencing work.
- Provides technical leadership, support and expertise for the project team.
- Produces and/or approves functional and detailed design specifications.
- Develop required documents per customer standards (electrical panels, P&IDs, loop sheets, and system architecture).
- Identify and analyze design changes and modify documents accordingly.
- Executes project to appropriate standards and quality management system requirements.
- Monitors and controls assigned work scope against the project plan.
- Select equipment and materials to project requirements.
- Shares technical knowledge with project team, proposal team, product business units, sales, consultants, etc
- Manages progress and technical problems and/or changes
- Acts as technical interface with customers, establishing professional relationships to ensure that the technical project requirements are fully defined, agreed and delivered within schedule and cost constraints.
- Acts as technical interface to 3rd party suppliers to assure correct functionality of the 3rd party deliverables including the correct integration of those deliverables in Rockwell solutions.
- Ensures that required prerequisites (e.g. design inputs, tools, documentation, deliverables, schedule, budget) are in place prior to commencing work.
- Ensures that the engineered solution meets project requirements, across all disciplines, in terms of functionality, Rockwell standard designs & design rules, quality, and supports documentation and implementation process at minimum cost by optimizing use of global technology and productivity tools
- Monitors and controls technical project scope against the project plan and Functional & Detailed Design Specifications,
- Monitoring progress and performance of engineering contractor / equipment vendors during the execution of work.
- Inspect equipment at the factory to ensure compliance with specifications and procurement documentation.
- Pre-commissioning, Commissioning and start-up support to operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelors' Degree in engineering
Minimum of 5 years' experience as a Senior / Lead Project Engineer
Minimum of 10 years' experience as a project engineer performing DCS work with customer interfacing experiences
10+ years of midstream and upstream oil and gas industry experience (specifically pipeline, gas processing, terminal automation, onshore production)
Oil and gas operations experience in support of process control systems (MES/ERP systems is a plus)
Technical and commercial experience with process control project execution
PlantPAx (Logix, Historian, ViewSE, Batch, AssetCentre, VantagePoint)
Knowledge of current and legacy DCS platforms
Experience implementing traditional DCS projects and conversions (both DCS and SIS, PSM covered processes)
Familiar process control standards
Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
PREFERRED location of Milwaukee, WI, NOT required
Ability to communicate technical concepts/solutions
Strong team player and positive attitude
Strong computer skills
Knowledge of networking, virtualization, and MS security
Ability to work on multiple tasks
Ability to communicate effectively and highly capable to motivate self and others
Ability to work effectively in virtual environment
Able to travel, as required, to support customer engagements and project execution.
Control Products and Solutions
Engineering and Technicians, Sales, Services, and Solutions
No. of Positions:
Boston - Massachusetts, Chicago - Illinois, Dallas - Texas, Houston - Texas, Mequon - Wisconsin, Seattle - Washington, Cleveland - Ohio
Rockwell Automation, the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Throughout the world, our flagship Allen-Bradley® and Rockwell Software® product brands are recognized for innovation and excellence.
When you choose Rockwell Automation, you join countless talented employees who have helped us establish our leadership position in the automation industry over the past century.
You join a diverse, inclusive and global community with a passion for innovation. A place where you can partner with great minds and inspiring people. And a corporation backed by the financial strength that drives growth - and career opportunities.
As much as we focus on our customers, we know our employees are key to our success and future. Helping you develop a rewarding career is a top priority. Because when you succeed, we succeed.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, email our Talent Acquisition representative at (see application details).