Media Systems Technician- ITS
Washington DC, DC
The Aspen Institute, founded in 1950, is an international nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering enlightened leadership and open-minded dialogue. Through seminars, policy programs, conferences and leadership development initiatives, the Institute and its international partners seek to promote nonpartisan inquiry and an appreciation for timeless values. The Institute is headquartered in Washington, D.C., supports a regional program office in NYC, and has conference, program, hotel facilities in Aspen, Colorado, and on the Wye River on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Its international network includes partner Aspen Institutes in Paris, New Delhi, Berlin, Rome, Kiev, Mexico City, Bucharest, Madrid, and Tokyo, and leadership programs in Africa.
The Media Systems Technician provides technical support for video and audio conferencing for high level, complex multimedia events in conference rooms and event spaces. Responsible for evaluations and subsequent recommendations for related hardware and software solutions. Installs and maintains related equipment and provides training, expertise and guidance to staff and guests. This experienced IT and AV professional supports Institute staff and guest utilizing a variety of video/audio conferencing equipment, services, and applications, associated webinar/collaboration services/applications for desktop users and remote meeting participants, and all hardware associated with such tasks. Their responsibility includes installing, troubleshooting, and configuring associated computer/rack-mounted systems, diagnosing and solving software/hardware/network and AV systems and providing excellent customer support. Accuracy and attention to detail are essential requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Expert in use of a variety of audio and video control boards, microphones and similar technologies, be capable of managing audio and video switching, mixing and quality control of sources for small and large room audio/video conferencing events
- Follow industry trends and new technologies related to virtually facilitated meetings.
- Evaluate, update, and manage all current and future Institute-wide in-room, desktop, and mobile audio/video conferencing and conference bridging solutions
- Able to integrate audio/video conferencing solutions with a variety of sound and video inputs and outputs for one-on-one or small group meetings, assist with live stage events, or other scenarios
- Recommend appropriate audio/video conferencing solutions to Institute staff based on the nature of meeting, existing Institute contracts, and the availability of equipment - locally and remotely.
- Set up, operate and strike conference room, desktop, and mobile audio/video conferencing solutions utilizing varying types of microphones and sound amplification systems, conference phones, data/video displays and projection systems, AV device control systems, videoconferencing equipment, computer control systems, video switching, professional audio and video recording systems and video streaming
- Ability to set up audio systems consisting of a variety of microphones, mixers, amplifiers, and speakers and adjust system for good speech level with no feedback; other audio sources such as mobile/handheld/computer audio and/or CD/DVD playback may also be required to connect to mixer
- Able to operate studio audio control room to facilitate studio, auditorium productions or webcasts
- Set up and operate varying types of professional portable broadcast cameras for video conferencing
- Familiarity with and capable of operating varying types of audio/video wireless systems and digital and analog boards
- Verify, test, troubleshoot, and monitor audio/video conferencing connections well in advance of and during meetings
- Work cooperatively with a production team to maintain the highest possible quality recording
- Able to perform well in a deadline driven, high profile environment
- Willingness to learn any proprietary equipment and applications
- Ability to set up PowerPoint presentations, connecting laptop and desktop computers with display interfaces to portable and data projectors; able to correctly size and adjust a data image on-screen
- Document, report, manage, and troubleshoot any system anomalies, equipment problems, customer relations issues or any other daily event concerns that arise
- Evaluate, update, and manage all Institute-wide audio conference calling solutions and associated billing
- Assist with departmental projects such as SOP revisions, equipment inventory, and other special events
- Other ITS-related duties as assigned
Physical Requirements & Work Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move 10 - 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds (with assistance as required). Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; outdoor weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Knowledge, Education and Experience :
- 4+ years' experience with the setup, operation and troubleshooting of audio/video teleconferencing solutions and technologies in conference rooms, auditoriums, theater, hotels, and/or broadcast environments
- 4+ years of proven audio/video/IT competence and capability providing end-user support
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Audio/Electronic Engineering or related field preferred; or Technical school training with electronics training and related experience
- InfoComm AV Technologist Certificate required, Certified Technology Specialist (CTS) certification preferred
- Customer service orientation; professional presence and superior client relationship skills
- A flexible attitude, excellent verbal & non-verbal communication skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment are essential
- Solid understanding of all aspects of video production
- Strong knowledge of current AV & VC industry best practices, standards and procedures
- Strong knowledge of computer networks (LANs, WiFi, network connections, and IP routing)
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint software to assist presenters with adjustments or any troubleshooting of presentation
- Strong knowledge of international audioconferencing standards and best practices
- Knowledgeable of current Polycom and Cisco audio and videoconferencing equipment
- Knowledgeable of Windows 10/7/Mac OS audio and video software drivers and controls
- Knowledgeable of current DELL, Microsoft Surface, and Apple audio and video hardware and interfaces
- High level of problem solving skills and the ability to recommend and implement alternative set-up and/or operations for complex systems
- Experience with BlueJeans Networks, Skype for Business, Skype, and other similar video and audio conference bridging solutions
- Familiarity with a wide variety of audio boards, audio and video systems, lighting equipment, computers, device control systems
- Capability to read and understand wiring diagrams, CAD drawings and schematics
- Ability to read, speak and effectively communicate in the English language
- Ability to thrive in a multicultural and multilingual environment
- Skilled with hand and power tools
- Solid work ethic
- Candidate must be willing to undergo background check
Schedule and Travel
- Evening and weekend work will be necessary to fulfill the duties of this position. Willingness to work a flexible schedule is a must.
- Extended overnight travel to other Institute offices will be expected.
See Job Description