The position of User Experience Designer Co-op within Rockwell Automation is a high energy, team-oriented and educational user experience design position. Students will work with user experience architects, visual designers, software engineers, developers, and collaborate with various product groups to conceptualize, design, and prototype breakthrough designs using current user-centered design and usability engineering techniques. Co-op students will work hand in hand with professional user experience architects. Co-ops are given work that is integral to designing desktop, web, and mobile products focused on the users and ensuring customer success.
A senior-level mentor is assigned to each co-op student to aid in the student's growth as a user experience designer and to ease the transition into the professional work environment. Regular progress reports are completed by the mentor and student and formal performance feedback is provided during the co-op term to ensure positive growth.
Co-ops become well versed in user-centered design techniques and become comfortable in a professional user experience design and software development environment. Students are exposed to a variety of user-centered design technique areas including: contextual inquiry, workflow modeling, mockups, prototyping, scenarios, wireframes, navigation maps and other design artifacts.
Throughout the co-op term, students typically complete several projects in various areas of software products. Projects are assigned based on student's interests as the education of the student is a high priority. To ensure student success in the co-op term, students are given many resources outside of a mentor, such as technical training and technical books. It is the goal of the user experience co-op program to prepare students to compete for an entry-level user experience design position upon graduation.
In the course of a co-op term, a student will gain functional, leadership, interpersonal, and business skills within the framework of a professional user experience design and software development organization.
- Develops an understanding of relevant aspects of the department's user experience design and software development process and procedures.
- Becomes familiar with the use of user experience design techniques and tools required to research, conceptualize, design, prototype, and user test software products.
- Works with user experience architects in the application of user experience design techniques and tools in user research and the design, prototyping, and testing of software products.
- Keeps informed of new developments in the user experience design field by participating in technical and developmental training opportunities.
- Takes ownership of assignments by understanding expected output, requesting help as needed.
- Effectively teams with others through mutually supportive professional relationships, open and direct communications, honesty and respect. Copes with and leverages personality differences and differences of opinion.
- Accepts additional responsibilities as assigned by manager.
- College junior level or above; studying interaction/user experience design, visual design, human factors, cognitive or behavioral science, or equivalent at an accredited 4 year college or university
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Proficient with Adobe Illustrator
- Knowledge of basic user-centered design and usability engineering techniques
- Good interpersonal, communication and teaming skills
- Legal Authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job opening.
- Any offer is conditional upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
Architecture and Software
No. of Positions:
Milwaukee - Wisconsin
Rockwell Automation, the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Throughout the world, our flagship Allen-Bradley® and Rockwell Software® product brands are recognized for innovation and excellence.
When you choose Rockwell Automation, you join countless talented employees who have helped us establish our leadership position in the automation industry over the past century.
You join a diverse, inclusive and global community with a passion for innovation. A place where you can partner with great minds and inspiring people. And a corporation backed by the financial strength that drives growth - and career opportunities.
As much as we focus on our customers, we know our employees are key to our success and future. Helping you develop a rewarding career is a top priority. Because when you succeed, we succeed.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, email our Talent Acquisition representative at (see application details).