The Manager, R&D Center leads a results-driven applied R&D team focused on longer-term technology needs in advanced control, power, communications, safety, security, cloud and software technologies. The successful individual will proactively partner with the business units and other strategic development teams to identify technology needs and trends, and drive innovation and execution in delivering new value to our customers. The ideal candidate is able to successfully identify an R&D portfolio, and focus the R&D Center's resources on projects with the highest value for competitive differentiation of RA's products, solutions, and services.
- Manage a team of (8) project leads and individual contributors to execute deliverables on time and on budget.
- Manage external R&D engagement, ranging from individual projects to sustained participation/leadership in innovation institutes.
- Keep up to date on technology. Promote the incorporation of relevant technology into products and/or processes.
- Active collaboration with other global R&D Centers and departments on the execution of R&D initiatives.
- Shanghai, Austin, Mayfield Hts, Prague
- Responsible for the recruitment, continued development and motivation of a highly productive R&D group.
- Work with peers to develop, implement and continuously improve development processes, ensuring quality deliverables are produced in a timely, predictable manner.
- Establish and maintain budgets, development plans, schedules and procedures required to accomplish the RDC and business objectives.
- Support industry standards activities as they relate to specific business opportunities.
- Support the development and maintenance of Rockwell Automation technology roadmaps.
- Manage the R&D project selection process: solicit potential projects and sponsors from the business units, develop and maintain of the project ranking and selection criteria, work with business units to make final project selection and document, track and report project deliverables.
- 60-80 project submissions with 30-40 projects selected
- Champion new ideas and initiatives and be a technical visionary and thought-leader to represent the company's technology directions both internally and externally.
- Drive problems toward resolution when encountering ambiguity, uncertainty, or inflexibility.
- Hold self and others accountable for achieving goals and meeting commitments.
- Encourage a positive work environment to foster outstanding performance. Possess and share a vision of success and work with individuals to help them reach their full potential.
- Celebrate and reward significant achievement in others.
- Effective communication skills are mandatory as the ideal candidate will also be a technical visionary and technical thought-leader with stature and presence to represent the company's technology directions both internally and externally.
- Understand and communicate complex technical, product, and business issues clearly and accurately to a diverse audience.
- Cultivate networks with people across a variety of functions and locations within the organization.
- Create an environment that encourages the open exchange of information and viewpoints.
- Adapt appropriately to competing demands and shifting priorities. Be an agent of change.
- Conform to all aspects of the company's goals, values, and standards of ethical conduct. Demonstrate integrity, trustworthiness under all circumstances. Treat others honestly and fairly.
- Work with business units and other strategic development teams to formulate development plans, in response to customer feedback, competitive directions, and technology trends.
- Master's Degree in an engineering or technical related field.
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in a leadership role related to engineering or technology management
- Ph.D is desired for this role.
- Experience with a research background
- Experience in working with a globally distributed team
Engineering and Technicians
No. of Positions:
Milwaukee - Wisconsin
Rockwell Automation, the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Throughout the world, our flagship Allen-Bradley® and Rockwell Software® product brands are recognized for innovation and excellence.
When you choose Rockwell Automation, you join countless talented employees who have helped us establish our leadership position in the automation industry over the past century.
You join a diverse, inclusive and global community with a passion for innovation. A place where you can partner with great minds and inspiring people. And a corporation backed by the financial strength that drives growth - and career opportunities.
As much as we focus on our customers, we know our employees are key to our success and future. Helping you develop a rewarding career is a top priority. Because when you succeed, we succeed.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, email our Talent Acquisition representative at (see application details).
Download the EEO is the Law poster and the supplement for more information.