Are you looking to make a difference? Team up with Gift of Hope!
Gift of Hope is dedicated to coordinating organ and tissue donation in the northern three-quarters of Illinois and NW Indiana. Our goal is to provide the highest quality service to families and hospitals as we strive to fulfill our mission of saving and enhancing the lives of as many people as possible through organ and tissue donation.
As a Donation Specialist you’ll be responsible for interacting with families and hospital staff to facilitate organ and tissue donation. You will:
- Support Gift of Hope’s mission, vision, and values; adhere to its policies and procedures in carrying out the responsibilities of this position
- Ask potential organ donor families to authorize organ and/or tissue donation; meet organization’s minimum authorization rate
- Facilitate donation from individuals in the donor authorization registry; with appropriate sensitivity, guide family to accept the donation decision made by their loved one and help them understand the donation process
- When authorization from the legal next of kin is required, provide families with accurate and relevant information to allow an informed decision regarding organ and tissue donation to be made.
- Cultivate relationships with hospital staff that facilitate cooperation and collaboration when determining the best time, place, and manner to speak with families
- Participate in after-action reviews for quality improvement within the region
- Participate in debriefing meetings in order to sharpen skills and assist others in professional growth
- Assume on-call responsibility as assigned
- Coordinate Patient Care Conferences with hospital staff during critical points in the referral and/or authorization process
- Conduct accurate, effective on-site evaluations of potential organ donors
- Review hospital charts and current records of potential donors
- In conjunction with the Administrator on- Call and/or the Gift of Hope Medical Director, assess medical status and determine organ donor potential per Gift of Hope criteria
- Document findings and follow-up plans in hospital charts and communicate this information to hospital staff while on site
-Other duties as assigned