The Software Engineer for Automation Tools will help drive the direction of automation efficiency for test and development organizations with Rockwell Automation. To achieve this the engineer will be responsible for investigating and implementing aspects of complex software automation tools. The projects may include any or all phases of a software product lifecycle: requirements gathering, software architecture, software design, implementation, test and maintenance. The deliverables from this ongoing project are a highly adaptable, sustainable automation infrastructure capable of supporting numerous test and development areas.
The candidate will be a member of a small to medium-sized team and may perform in a leadership role on occasion. He or she will collaborate with other teams.
The candidate will be required to identify, design, document and implement new automation applications and frameworks to enhance test and development automation efficiency. Documenting, maintaining and enhancing existing automation tool frameworks will be expected.
- Investigates complex software automation issues, reporting on problems encountered and documenting results for follow-up.
- Architects automated solutions from the highest framework level to the lowest messaging levels.
- Demonstrates superior knowledge of software automation techniques.
- Participates in software/tools design and implementation reviews.
- Contributes to the development of automation strategies and frameworks.
- Enables automated software test procedures for multiple groups.
- Provides input into the design and implementation of product and system test set-ups as related to automation tools.
- Considered knowledgeable in the area of software automation applications within the department.
- Ability to drive change within the test automation organization.
- Ability to influence the design and architecture of the product to meet the needs of automation applications.
- Commands respect from within and outside the automation groups.
- Adapts to change by identifying needs, adjusting, and working with others as appropriate to implement initiatives.
- Gain and maintain the support of stakeholders and decision makers required to achieve software tool quality goals.
- Leverages own expertise by sharing lessons learned, documenting processes, conducting team de-briefs, etc.
- Adheres to policies and procedures relating to standards of business conduct, ethics, and conflicts of interest and completes annual training in same.
Minimum of a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent with concentration in software; or equivalent knowledge in the areas of software engineering (software requirements analysis, software design, software testing, software automation).
Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening
- Typically requires a minimum of 2 years' experience in Automation Tools, Software Testing, or Software Development.
- Knowledge of software testing.
- Experience in the development of software automation solutions.
- Strong experience with Python, C ++, Java or similar programming languages.
- Interest in developing with Python.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with Rockwell Automation products or other industrial control equipment is highly preferred.
Architecture and Software
Engineering and Technicians
No. of Positions:
Mayfield Heights - Ohio
Rockwell Automation, the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Throughout the world, our flagship Allen-Bradley® and Rockwell Software® product brands are recognized for innovation and excellence. When you choose Rockwell Automation, you join countless talented employees who have helped us establish our leadership position in the automation industry over the past century. You join a diverse, inclusive and global community with a passion for innovation. A place where you can partner with great minds and inspiring people. And a corporation backed by the financial strength that drives growth - and career opportunities. As much as we focus on our customers, we know our employees are key to our success and future. Helping you develop a rewarding career is a top priority. Because when you succeed, we succeed.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, email our Talent Acquisition representative at
(see application details).
Download the EEO is the Law poster and the supplement for more information.