The Staff Accountant performs various accounting functions for the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRCF). Specific duties of the position include:
- Assist with revenue-related tasks:
- Record various revenue streams in the General Ledger (GL).
- Properly record restricted revenue.
- Record and reconcile all investment activity in the GL.
- Serve as backup to Revenue Specialist
- Assist with grant-related duties, such as:
- Review all expenditures to ensure proper use of grant and project codes.
- Record restricted income and releases, including grant revenue.
- Assist with reporting requirements for grant expenditures. Set up new grant/project codes, and communicate to users.
- Update grant tracking and reporting system; streamline processes where applicable.
- Maintain a grant reporting calendar
- Generate invoices and assist with collections
- Prepare monthly GL reconciliations and ensure that discrepancies are resolved in a timely manner.
- Adhere to monthly closing process, particularly meeting deadlines.
Accounting and Administrative Responsibilities:
- Participate in and assist with accounting projects, including implementation of accounting software upgrades, annual audits and management reporting.
- Prepare detailed schedules for annual audit and the IRS form 990 tax return.
- Maintain and monitor department calendars for deliverables and deadlines.
- Maintain and/or manage the Finance Department’s permanent files including current state registrations, bank account information, journal entries, reconciliations, audited financial statements, tax returns and all regulatory filings.
- Coordinate the ongoing maintenance of the Finance Department Accounting Policies and Procedures manual.
- Coordinate and schedule trainings for new and current HRC employees regarding financial processes and procedures, update training materials, prepare presentations, etc.
- Provide assistance to supervisor, Controller and Finance Director, as needed, and assist with general workload.
- Other duties as assigned.