Two-Year Temporary Position
Clean Vehicles Program
Washington, DC Office
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), a leading science-based advocacy organization, seeks a motivated and detail-oriented individual to help plan and implement campaign organizing activities with the Clean Vehicles Program to build a clean, equitable, and accessible transportation future. Transportation is now the largest source of carbon emissions in the US, and is also on the verge on a technological transformation. Help us build a transportation future that works for all of us.
The Outreach Coordinator will develop and implement online and offline organizing activities that complement the work of analytic and policy staff. This position will work to defend strong federal clean car standards from regulatory attacks, bolster key Congressional targets to protect against legislative threats, and push back on corporate attempts to undermine science-based clean car standards and policies that cut emissions and oil consumption, protect public health and save consumers money.
- Plan and implement corporate, federal and state campaign outreach activities to advance policy initiatives to cut oil use and emissions from the transportation sector.
- Recruit and mobilize experts and activists to take online and offline action in support of campaigns. Diversify expert base. Identify and build relationships with supporters who have compelling stories and have access to and influence on key decision-makers.
- Working with the Communications team, help to implement online tactics including action alert emails, social media visibility, web content, and webinars. Turn technical issues and complicated policy into compelling, understandable sound bites and narratives for public audiences.
- Build strategic relationships with new and diverse constituencies and allies, including public health, labor, and potential industry allies as well as environmental justice communities, racial and social justice organizations, and Hispanic audiences. Coordinate with existing partners to further campaign objectives.
- Represent UCS at major events and conferences to promote UCS and the Clean Vehicles Program, effectively communicating our issues to the general public and supporters.
- Provide timely and accurate production assistance for selected publications, reports, factsheets, web content, and presentations, working closely with appropriate program, Development, and Communications staff. Help promote major UCS analytic and communications products.
- Maintain strong content knowledge and stay up-to-date on rapidly changing issues, providing relevant and timely information for rapid response, blogs and other web content.
- Conduct research on policy-makers, the automotive and fuels industries, and other potential stakeholders to identify key points of leverage over decision makers.
- Track, evaluate, and report back on campaign activities to evaluate effectiveness and demonstrate UCS's role in winning campaigns for our funders, donors, and supporters.
Qualifications and Experience
Position requires and 3 to 5 years of relevant and comparable experience in campaign organizing and policy advocacy. A bachelor's degree is preferred. Qualified candidates must have demonstrated success with strategic campaign planning, grassroots organizing, and online and offline mobilization tools. Familiarity with the regulatory and legislative policy process will be essential, and awareness of corporate campaigning strategies or company social responsibility practices ideal. Must have experience in building and maintaining relationships with key constituencies, with an emphasis on non-traditional allies and racial/social justice organizations.
Knowledge of transportation and climate issues is a plus, or enthusiasm for in-depth content learning. Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is expected.
Significant self-motivation, strong personal time management, project management, attention to detail, and interpersonal skills are essential. The ability to work both independently and in teams in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects and deadlines is required. Excellent persuasive writing and presentation skills. Requires strong web research and computer skills using Microsoft Office. Knowledge of online email management and database software a plus. Bilingual or conversationally fluent in Spanish would be a plus.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriates.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we seekto broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the scientific community and the environmental movement. We believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve the quality of our work, expand our capacity to make meaningful impact, and produce better outcomes for the most disadvantaged communities. We are actively seeking candidates who come from diverse backgrounds to bring this perspective to their work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time, 2-year temporary position (with the possibility of extension) based in UCS's Washington, DC office. For candidates who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $52,000. UCS offers competitive compensation, excellent benefits and a rewarding, inclusive work environment.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, persuasive writing sample, salary requirements, and how you learned about the position via email to (see application details) and include "CV Outreach Coordinator" in the subject line. Email materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please. Deadline: July 30th, 2017 or until filled.