New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2015 operating earnings of $1.875 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2015, with affiliates, totaled $528 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The Inforce Service & Operations (IS&O) department provides customer service to over 12,000 agents and 3.5 million policy owners for Life Insurance, Annuities, and securities products sold through our agent distribution channel. Our organization is responsible for over 30 million touch points with customers each year through our different service channels, including over the phone, via our correspondence, online, through our Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system, and more.
The Customer Service Representative is responsible for delivering a positive application experience for prospective policyholders of New York Life. The Call Center Representative places outbound calls to and services inbound calls from policy applicants to collect and compile key data points that support the policy underwriting process.
- Conduct inbound and outbound applicant interviews with both expediency and accuracy to collect and compile key data points that support the policy underwriting process.
- Conduct interviews fluently in Mandarin and English.
- Use various systems to: access the applicants' phone number to dial calls; manage and update the call disposition; and conduct the interview.
- Assist underwriters during the underwriting process by conducting follow up calls with applicants for additional information.
- Access databases and website (e.g., medical dictionaries, underwriting references, medication and/or physician look ups) at point of call.
- Trigger alerts to the Agent, General Office staff and/or Underwriter when necessary.
- Handle status inquiries from applicants, Agents, General Office personnel and underwriters.
- Handle interviews of higher complexities such as applicants who may have more remarkable personal and health histories; and with applicants applying for higher coverage amounts.
- Research special cases and disposition them appropriately.
- Operate with a continuous improvement mindset, providing feedback and suggestions to improve the telephone interview application process to immediate manager.
- 3-5 years experience in high volume call center customer service environment
- Must be fluent in English and Mandarin (Verbal & Written)
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills required
- Strong computer and typing skills
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree preferred, or equivalent years of work experience
- Background in medical terminology and/or life insurance underwriting highly preferred
- Demonstrated passion for continuous improvement and service excellence
Training & Development:
Customer Service Representative will undergo a comprehensive on the job training environment to learn about the insurance industry, product and policy provisions and transaction processing. Coaching and feedback is provided to help you gain the necessary skills to be successful.
This is a full-time position
- We are offering a variety of flexible shift schedules from starting as early as 8:00 AM to starting as late as 2:30 PM
- Department Hours of Operation: Monday - Thursday 8:00 AM until 11:00 PM ET, Friday 9:00 AM until 7:00 PM ET, and Saturday 9:45 AM until 5:45 PM ET
Competitive full-time base salary (non-exempt), plus target bonus eligibility
Paid Vacation, Health Care, 401K match, Pension Plan, Tuition Assistance, Flexible Spending Accounts
New York Life offers a variety of career opportunities within the Service Organization, including management, quality control, training, underwriting and claims.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
*Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.