We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
The Director of Strategic Initiatives will work with departments throughout the organization to support, coordinate and execute the cross-departmental, strategic, multi-year plans for the Policy and Political Affairs division, leveraging assets across the organization to improve and impact the lives of LGBTQ people and families. A strong people manager and partner with extensive campaign or advocacy experience, this position will also provide structure and processes to improve the day-to-day efficiency of the Policy and Political Affairs division. This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Policy and Political Affairs.
- Working with the Policy and Political Affairs (PPA) directors, oversee development and implementation of cross-departmental, strategic, multi-year plans leveraging assets across the organization to improve and impact the lives of LGBTQ people and families.
- Support the development of individual PPA function plans. Ensure the integration of these plans into HRC's strategic, legislative, electoral, membership, communication, outreach and education goals.
- Represent the SVP and organization externally with partners and in coalitions. Internally represent the SVP with other departments.
- Review and edit PPA materials including op-eds, blog posts, direct mail, email messages and background documents.
- Develop, lead and implement special projects expanding the impact and reach of the work of PPA through innovation and creativity utilizing staff, plans, tools and other assets.
- Assist with the monitoring of PPA budgets and progress towards department and organizational goals.
- Work with development department staff to identify potential new funding opportunities and develop new fundraising materials to promote efforts of PPA.
- Deepen and develop the knowledge and opportunities of the Equality Vote model and other research and data development opportunities for HRC.
- Partner on staff development efforts.
- Supervise at least one employee, including when applicable, interviewing, hiring, conducting performance reviews, coaching, motivating and disciplining.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required or equivalent work experience.
- Seven to ten years of relevant work experience in the areas of political campaigns and advocacy required.
- Seven to ten years of direct management experience building/leading highly effective teams required.
- Ability to develop and manage department-wide budget.
- A proven track record of taking initiative and showing leadership in the workplace. Must be a strategic thinker with sound judgment and political acumen.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with strong ability to influence others and build a collaborative environment.
- Ability to foster relationships with external allies, decision makers, and stakeholders; to work in both a team atmosphere and independently; and to meet internal and external demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of audiences.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel) and Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive).
- Ability to analyze and solve problems either independently or within a cross-functional team environment.
- Ability to travel up to 10-15% of the time.
- Flexibility with work schedule; this position may require occasional evening and weekend work.
- Strong commitment to and interest in the rapidly changing LGBTQ equality movement and a working knowledge of LGBTQ issues.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
See job description