Economic Services Specialist
Full time Year-Round Benefits Eligible
Performs intake of applications for client benefits and determines initial and continuing eligibility for public assistance programs. This position plays an important role in connecting individuals and families living in Eagle County with crucial assistance programs to meet their needs. Program areas may include Child Care, Emergency, Energy, Financial, Food and Medical Assistance which bring more than $30M in services and benefits annually to Eagle County residents.
Example of Duties
Perform intake of applications for client benefits
- Complete intake of applications through face-to-face, phone or video conference interviews, at community partner locations, or through application review.
- Assist clients in obtaining required verifications for eligibility determination.
- Assess client needs and initiate referrals and connections to community services; coordinate with other community agencies to meet needs of client.
- Handle complex program and resource inquiries and apply critical thinking skills and judgment in resolving concerns.
- Travel to agency and community service locations within Eagle County to provide specialist functions
Determine initial and continuing eligibility for public assistance programs in accordance with statutory and federal, state and local rules and regulations to assure accurate eligibility determination for program benefits
- Interpret and analyze client data, identifies patterns and draws logical conclusions from that data: effectively problem solves discrepancies in case related system issues to assure accurate program actions.
- Complete case updates based on identified or reported changes
- Perform data entry and utilize data from a wide variety of automated systems to provide accurate program services and ongoing case maintenance.
- Interpret and apply complex and changing federal and state regulations to provide accurate program benefits
Provide Customer Service
- Utilize professional verbal and written communication, effectively handle incoming customer or community contacts by phone, in-person, or email; manage ES call center as assigned.
- Handle confidential and sensitive information on a regular basis and maintain confidentiality of client information.
- Work effectively with clients in crisis who may be angry or difficult to communicate with.
- Communicate and interact with personnel from state and federal agencies, and community services providers to promote comprehensive services for clients.
- Required English/Spanish bilingual position functions also include provision of Specialist duties in Spanish to primary Spanish speaking clients and translation of agency, program or client materials.
Assure Program Accountability
- Manage workload to assure accurate and timely initial and continuing eligibility.
- Resolve benefit discrepancies in automated system at time of eligibility determination to assure accurate case actions.
- Review, prepare and/or respond to audit exceptions or appeals by providing valid rule references or completing corrections within the automated system.
Education and Training
- Complete county, system and program training as required by policy or rule.
- Maintain knowledge of public assistance programs, other ECDHS programs and services, and community resources.
- High school graduate or equivalent supplemented by continuing education in job-related field
- Certificate in office management or Associates degree in business or related field.
Minimum Work Experience and Qualifications
- Two years full time experience working in public assistance or related field is required.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) language skills required, a bi-lingual skills test may be administered to confirm proficiency.
Preferred Work Experience and Qualifications:
- Three to five years full time experience in public assistance or related field is preferred.
- Prior experience in the field of human services including working knowledge of state (specifically Colorado) human services. databases/systems including CBMS and CHATS desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skills in oral and written communications, math and effective interviewing.
- Ability to gain knowledge of public assistance and other Human Services programs.
- Ability to correctly apply program rules and regulations to determine initial and ongoing eligibility.
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful, professional relationships with clients froma diverse population, community partners, staff, and management.
- Ability to conduct oneself appropriately in an office environment
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information and immediately identify any potential conflict of interest concerns and escalate to Manager.
- Willingness and ability to exemplify Eagle County Government's core values of Creativity, Respect, Engagement, Accountability, Team, Excellence, and Service.
License, Certification, or Registration:
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Colorado driver's license within 1 month. A satisfactory motor vehicle record is also required. Must not have any major violations, nor more than one DUI, DWI, DWAI conviction in the past three years.
- Reliable transportation required.
Offering an amazing benefits package copay medical plan, dental, vision, retirement, tuition programs, wellness programs and more!
Creating a better Eagle County for All