Climate and Energy Program
Chicago, IL Office
UCS's Climate and Energy team is growing to take advantage of the many opportunities for progress on clean energy and climate in the Midwest. Washington is going the wrong direction on climate. And environmental justice and climate impacts are more pressing than ever. But we have a network of 20,000+ scientists who are fired up and growing every day. States are taking bold action on clean energy and climate. The price of clean energy is dropping like a stone.
That's where you come in: if you're an excellent organizer who's passionate about climate and clean energy, understands equity and environmental justice, and has big ideas about leveraging science for social change - we want you as our Midwest Outreach Coordinator.
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet's most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for stemming the tide of global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.
- Organize within UCS's Power Ahead campaign to advance clean energy and modernize the electric grid
- Organize and engage UCS supporters and Science Network members to achieve campaign goals.
- Develop, and implement outreach plans and projects to advance state, regional, and federal energy campaign goals.
- Contribute to and use high-level analysis and technical expertise to ensure visibility with target constituencies; and facilitate strategic responses to emerging campaign opportunities.
- Coordinate Midwest advocacy and campaign work across projects and programs both within UCS and with external partners.
- Manage files and data on engagement efforts.
- Provide colleagues with timely information and regular updates on state and regional policy issues and political developments.
- Ensure strong state/regional/federal coordination within UCS.
Qualifications and experience
- Demonstrated ability and experience developing campaign strategy and tactics, organizing grasstops constituents, coordinating outreach events, and engaging supporters through online and offline activities is required.
- Comfort making phone calls to supporters and holding intentional one-on-one meetings is essential. Experience working with scientists, experts, and/or academics is a big plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, balance a multitude of tasks, and to collaborate as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Strong communication and public speaking skills required. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with prominent professionals and experts.
- Familiarity with advocacy writing and tactical, and technical aspects of digital strategy is strongly preferred.
- Ability to engage competently and equitably with a diverse group of scientists, grassroots leaders, and allies is required. Solid understanding of racial and economic dynamics, particularly as they relate to energy, environmental, and climate issues, is a big plus.
- Solid understanding of database maintenance, online organizing tools, and Microsoft Office is required. Experience with EveryAction, Salsa, Nationbuilder, or other CRM software is preferred.
Three to five years of comparable and relevant experience in outreach and/or organizing. Current or recent experience in the Midwest and education or experience in climate change and energy is strongly preferred.
A bachelor's degree is strongly preferred. Comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
May spend extended periods at computer terminal. Moderate travel is required, up to 6 days a month during peak times, including overnights. Driver's license required.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we're dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We're also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS's Chicago office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is $52,000. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, writing sample, salary requirements, how you learned about the position to (see application details) with "Midwest Outreach" in the subject line. Email materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please. Deadline: November 26, 2017 or until filled.