This position will be responsible for opto-mechanical design and development for industrial photoelectric sensing products including discrete presence and distance measurement products and safety oriented multi-element systems products such as: light curtains, safety relays and safety lasers. This position also has overall responsibility for opto-mechanical product performance for both New Product Development and for Continuation Engineering product lines. This position will originate, apply, interpret and develop opto-mechanical sensor designs including but not limited to: multi-function single piece molded optics parts incorporating emitter and receiver lenses/optical paths, light pipes and mounting and sealing features; lenses, mirrors, LEDs, lasers, PIN photodiode detectors, synchronous emitter-receiver circuits, filters and apertures in cost sensitive, high volume industrial products.
- BS Optics, BSME, BS Physics, BSEE, or similar technical BS degree..
- 8+ years mechanical engineering experience.
- 5+ years in optical systems design and development.
- Design lenses and specifies the geometry of all optical components. This includes the entire cycle of designing, testing and interfacing with suppliers.
- Evaluate and analyze proposed product designs.
- Employ software optical modeling techniques (Zemax Premium, Lens Machinix or similar techniques / tools).
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- MS Optics, MSME, MS Physics, MSEE, or similar technical degree.
- Special emphasis on the understanding and use of Non-Sequential Ray Tracing packages for the study of stray light and optical performance of optical systems.
- Design or manufacture of molded plastic lenses or other molded or mass replicated optical components.
- Design of devices incorporating one or more of: molded optics, LED, laser, photo-diode/detector.
- Develop test methods to evaluate electro-optical components, assembly methods and performance characteristics of competitive products.
- Support Test Equipment Engineering and Quality Control in development of optical related test equipment.
- Assist in review of incoming inspection equipment and procedures for optical components as needed.
- Study production rejects to determine corrective action to improve production yield through component testing or product design change.
- Support internal Engineering testing procedures. For e.g.
- Procedure to spectrally measure filter materials
- Procedures for Beam patterns and Margin Curves
- BFL Lens Test Procedure
- Fluorescent immunity testing
- Solar Glare and ambient light test
- Beam deviation angle measurement procedure
Architecture and Software
Engineering and Technicians
No. of Positions:
Chelmsford - Massachusetts
Rockwell Automation, the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Throughout the world, our flagship Allen-Bradley® and Rockwell Software® product brands are recognized for innovation and excellence.
When you choose Rockwell Automation, you join countless talented employees who have helped us establish our leadership position in the automation industry over the past century.
You join a diverse, inclusive and global community with a passion for innovation. A place where you can partner with great minds and inspiring people. And a corporation backed by the financial strength that drives growth - and career opportunities.
As much as we focus on our customers, we know our employees are key to our success and future. Helping you develop a rewarding career is a top priority. Because when you succeed, we succeed.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, email our Talent Acquisition representative at (see application details).
Download the EEO is the Law poster and the supplement for more information.