Quality Assurance Director
101 Paragon Drive, Montvale, New Jersey 07645
The color of pride: Benjamin Moore is proud to be a part of Berkshire Hathaway, which was recognized by Fortune magazine as the world's third most admired company. And for more than 130 years we've been a respected leader in the architectural coatings and home décor landscape; creating the products and tools that enrich and beautify thousands of communities each day. We recognize that our associates are the driving force behind our success and we strive to provide a work environment where hard work, creativity and purposeful collaboration are fostered and encouraged.
Join a company where innovation is constantly recognized as we look for individuals who produce world-class products, best-in-class services and customer experiences, design pioneering paints using the latest technologies and deliver unparalleled value and brand experiences for our customers and retail network.
- Reporting into the VP QA and working closely with Corporate Quality Control, the Director will execute strategies designed to protect the business, improve customer satisfaction, reduce variation and waste, and ultimately grow the business. Lead, develop, document, implement and oversee compliance with the Benjamin Moore Quality System. This will include quality audits, management of the quality of raw materials, assemblies, products and components as well as services related to production, customer satisfaction, and management; including inspection processes. Embed quality systems in Product Development, Marketing, Sales and business support functions.
- Build a QA organization to assure compliance to Benjamin Moore Quality System. Develop and build necessary skill sets in Corporate and in the field.
- Lead the continued development, documentation and training of the Benjamin Moore Quality System across the organization.
- Lead the complaint handling process from receipt of complaints through investigation to claim payment. Assure weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual complaint information is created and shared with senior management and appropriate partners.
- Oversee a change management system for R&D and Supply Chain. Assure processes to manage changes are implemented and followed such as:
- Product Development: formula, color standards, color Rx, method, process, material/supplier changes, specifications, analytical/laboratory equipment, packaging
- Supply Chain: equipment, utilities, facilities, regulation (safety, OSHA, etc.), storage, handling
- Oversee a process for managing SAP non-conformances/deviations at manufacturing sites. Trend data to determine reoccurring issues. Work with Procurement to manage problem suppliers. Create continuous improvement tools for other nonconformance types.
- Assure documentation system for R&D and Supply Chain is in use and managed properly so documents such as SOPs, Work Instructions, forms are created, used, revised as necessary and available
- Identify gaps in processes to assure quality standards are appropriate for both Manufacturing sites and Product Development.
- Conduct/lead audits with QC and CI teams or individually. Assure a pool of trained auditors in DCs.
- Working with Sales and Procurement, evaluate retailer's tinting/shaking equipment as well as stock rotation, shelf presence, etc. Develop programs, training, and metrics to assure consistent quality and continuous improvement plans for identified gaps and areas of concern.
- Working with QC and Sales, streamline the Product Alert and Action process for clarity, roles and responsibilities, investigation and general understanding.
- Create quality metrics that are data based and clearly measurable. Metrics will provide a picture of risk areas as well as targeted improvement.
- Develop and implement a program to quantify the Cost of Quality across the organization and build associated processes to reduce these costs.
- Demonstrate visible leadership and work to educate all Benjamin Moore people on quality performance and process improvement.
- Build the organizational capability and vitality of the Quality team via effective career development, coaching and mentoring.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related science (or equivalent combination of education and experience) required. Advanced degree preferred.
- 12+ years Consumer Products Company QA experience. At least 3 years of management experience leading multi-site teams of professionals.
- Must have strong background in quality systems, Good Manufacturing Practices, statistical tools, and SAP QM
- Project management and time management skills
- Process oriented
- Quality training and quality systems certification is required.
- Excellent communication, people management, and presentation skills
- Certified Quality Engineer required