Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College, located in the north metropolitan Houston area, is one of the largest and fastest growing community colleges in the country featuring six comprehensive colleges and 10 centers with over 95,000 credit and non-credit students each semester, an annual budget exceeding $500,000,000, and 7,300 employees spread over a 2100 square mile area.
LSC adds $3.1 billion to the local and regional economy by providing educational opportunities across the north Houston region.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.
Campus address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive. Houston, Texas 77073-3499
It is the responsibility of the teaching faculty to provide the learning activities and support that will lead to the achievement of the course objectives and contribute to the educational environment of the college and the community. Primary responsibilities are to plan, develop and teach courses within the curriculum in a manner that facilitates student learning.
CE instructors are hired in a part-time capacity on a semester-by-semester basis, contingent upon the needs of the college system. Lone Star College (LSC) accepts application material year-round from qualified applicants willing to teach on a part-time basis. CE instructor hiring is based on student demand. We offer day, evening, and weekend classes. Classes are offered at various times and locations during the academic year. As a rule, CE instructors may not work in excess of 19.5 hours each week. Applications submitted on-line are accessed and reviewed by hiring managers as the need to hire arises. There is normally no communication with applicants unless they are selected for an interview.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Teaches Bilingual Interpreter (English/Spanish) courses at a variety of times and locations.
- Submits required college reports and forms in a timely manner.
- Develops and/or utilizes a course syllabus for each course, following established institutional guidelines.
- Meets with and advises students either before or after class or by appointment, electronic communication, or other appropriate methods.
- Evaluates students to measure their progress in achieving course objectives and informs students in a timely manner of their progress.
- Maintains professional relationships with students, colleagues, and the community.
- Continuously improves instructional quality by reviewing and utilizing innovative methodologies, techniques and delivery methods.
- Attends meetings, trainings, and orientations as required.
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned.
- Mastery of course content
- Commitment to academic excellence, exceptional service and providing a dynamic climate for life-long learning.
- Ability to use effective strategies to engage students in their learning.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with MS Office software
- Commitment to multi-cultural and multi-generational diversity
- Commitment to the mission of the comprehensive community college
- Strong communication and computer skills
- Commitment to quality service to students
- Minimal physical effort is required
$41.75 per contact hour
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Hours will vary depending on class time. Instructors are required to meet with classes at all scheduled times and be available to students outside of class instruction
- PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment.
- Internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position.
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards.
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You cannot attach a file that exceeds the allocated limit of 1024 kilobytes. You can attach a maximum of 10 files at a time. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Please include the requisition number and your name in the title of your file. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
- Bachelor's degree and at least 2 years of higher education teaching experience
- Certified Bilingual (English/Spanish) Interpreter certification
Benefits Marketing Statement:
- Master's degree
- Texas Interpreting license
By joining our top notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization recognized for the 3rd year in a row as a "Great College To Work For". We offer a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition reimbursement, participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
Application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivery will not be accepted.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check