The color of pride: Benjamin Moore is proud to be a part of Berkshire Hathaway, which was recognized by Fortune magazine as the world's third most admired company. And for more than 130 years we've been a respected leader in the architectural coatings and home décor landscape; creating the products and tools that enrich and beautify thousands of communities each day. We recognize that our associates are the driving force behind our success and we strive to provide a work environment where hard work, creativity and purposeful collaboration are fostered and encouraged.
Join a company where innovation is constantly recognized as we look for individuals who produce world-class products, best-in-class services and customer experiences, design pioneering paints using the latest technologies and deliver unparalleled value and brand experiences for our customers and retail network.
The Environmental Specialist will report to the Director, EHSS Compliance & Sustainability. This role will be primarily repsonsible for monitoring and interpreting laws and regulations with respect to environmental protection as they affect company operations in US, Canada and internationally and helping to design and implement programs to ensure compliance and meet company goals.
The position will provide organization wide coordination in all environmental areas including air, water and waste management, as well as assisting in compliance strategies for these programs. In addition, the position will coordinate environmental data and support implementation of sustainability initiatives.
This position will play a key part in advancing the culture around sound environmental programs, creating efficient processes for compliance, creating management systems and training programs, and self-assessments.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of environmental regulations and provide interpretation to facilities as necessary. Keep up-to-date on new and emerging regulations and direction on environmental issues of interest to Benjamin Moore (US, Canada and international requirements).
- Assist in the development of standards, programs, practices and tools to ensure compliance with environmental regulations and/or internal policies and support implementation at the sites.
- Provide environmental education and training, support and guidance to facilities to maintain an environment consistent with company policy and regulatory requirements.
- Assist with development of EHSS Management System
- Compile, analyze, and interpret environmental statistical data (water, waste, greenhouse gas emissions).
- Assist facilities with ensuring the determination of root cause and effective corrective actions related to environmental incidents and/or inspection findings.
- Provide expertise and project management on remediation sites and keep abreast of legacy sites and environmental reserves requirements.
- Support internal communication strategy for key audiences that builds and maintains awareness of environmental and sustainability values, strategies, and performance
- Analyze new business projects against current and anticipated future regulatory requirements and provide practical, workable solutions to the business.
- Participate in technical planning for manufacturing/DC/R&D projects to identify and address environmental requirements and ensure best practice
- Participate in Management of Change reviews
- Assist with the preparation of environmental reports and ongoing maintenance of environmental licenses and permits, providing review and feedback regarding non-routine environmental reporting and communications. Understand and communicate environmental permit requirements and data generated to prepare permits.
- Audit, analyze and report on environmental performance to internal and external clients and regulatory bodies
- HAPS Reviews/Raw Material Reviews / Requests to Activate
- Track trends and develop pollution prevention techniques and solutions as needed.
- Liaise with relevant local, state/provincial and federal bodies
- Support sustainability efforts through frequent benchmarking both internally and externally to identify best practices of others, consistent with and in support of approved sustainability strategy.
- Support projects as requested and collaborate with company and consultant resources to leverage best work practices and to provide additional skill-level support.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree in Environmental or Chemical Engineering, Environmental Scienceor a related field is required, Master's degree preferred.
- 5-7 years of experience implementing environmental programs and management systems for a manufacturing company.
- Strong knowledge EPA and state environmental regulations including air permitting is required.
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong technical writing and computer literacy is required.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and verbal communication skills are required.
- Knowledge of paint or chemical manufacturing is desirable.
- Estimated travel: 50%-60%