The Motors Hardware Engineer is responsible for mechanical design of motors for new product development. That responsibility includes structural, thermal, and design for manufacturing work. In addition to those primary responsibilities, the Motors Hardware Engineer will support certification requirements and the creation of design guidance to facilitate certifications. They will also work on new Motor Product Developments to insure robust manufacturable designs for all aspects of motor manufacturing. Primary responsibilities include working with RA Operations and outside vendors to create motor designs that meet the product requirements leading to business success. The Motor Hardware Engineer will also work with the RA Shared Services Compliance function and Kinetix Dev Test to obtain third party certifications for motor products.
It is likely that the Motors Hardware Engineer could also take responsibility for one or more of the following areas for Kinetix Motors:
This position requires the ability to travel to our manufacturing facilities including Poland and Mexico for New Product Development work.
This position requires strong functional skills in the area of Electrical, Mechanical, and Material Science as applied to industrial motors. Excellent understanding of drive/motor interface requirements and UL and CE certification requirements are a plus. Responsible for keeping abreast of the competitive servo motor technologies and providing technical support on issues related to servo Motors.
- Engineering technical skills in electro-mechanical hardware engineering including thermal and structural analysis
- Sound technical understanding of relevant manufacturing processes including die casting, machining, extrusions, etc as well as Design for Manufacturability
- Comfortable in a lab test environment including shock&vibe and thermal tests, plus comfortable writing sound technical reports
- Knowledge of industrial automation applications including motion applications.
- Conducts design reviews and peer reviews as needed to insure that the products meet the intended design specifications.
- Assesses products and processes for their ability to meet customer requirements including capability, reliability, and robustness.
- Direct experience in lean or six sigma design tools.
- The ability to effectively collaborate with and lead a broader team including Product Management, vendors, testers, and Operations.
- The ability to contribute to strategic product direction by keeping others aware of relevant technology.
- Excellent communication, reporting/presentation skills and influence. Demonstrated competency working across business unit lines with an integrated team to achieve positive objectives.
- Prioritizes engineering tasks consistent with the overall motion business strategy.
- Ensures thorough familiarity with policies and procedures relating to standards of business conduct, and demonstrates full compliance with the letter and spirit of such policies and procedures.
- Bachelor Degree Mechanical, Electrical, or Industrial Engineering or in a technical or science field with technical/lab or industrial experience.
- 5+ years of mechanical or electrical or Industrial engineering experience.
- Desired Qualifications:
- Motors or rotating machinery experience.
- Familiarity with principles of Design for Six Sigma and comfortable working with statistics.
- Certified Design For Six Sigma Green Belt or other higher levels.
- Experience with Thermal and Structural modeling tools such as ANSYS.
- Experience working with certifying bodies such as UL, CSA, TUV, etc.
Architecture and Software
Engineering and Technicians
No. of Positions:
Eden Prairie - Minnesota, Mequon - Wisconsin
Rockwell Automation, the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Throughout the world, our flagship Allen-Bradley(R) and Rockwell Software(R) product brands are recognized for innovation and excellence.
When you choose Rockwell Automation, you join countless talented employees who have helped us establish our leadership position in the automation industry over the past century.
You join a diverse, inclusive and global community with a passion for innovation. A place where you can partner with great minds and inspiring people. And a corporation backed by the financial strength that drives growth - and career opportunities.
As much as we focus on our customers, we know our employees are key to our success and future. Helping you develop a rewarding career is a top priority. Because when you succeed, we succeed.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, email our Talent Acquisition representative at (see application details).
Download the EEO is the Law poster and the supplement for more information.