About the Fair Labor Association
The Fair Labor Association (FLA) combines the efforts of industry, civil society organizations, and colleges and universities to promote and protect workers' rights and to improve working conditions worldwide by promoting adherence to international labor standards. The FLA is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has offices in Geneva, Switzerland and Shanghai, China. For more information, visit www.fairlabor.org.
The Accounting Manager will be responsible for the day to day accounting operations and financial statement reporting of both domestic and international programs. This will be accomplished through financial management, monitoring, compliance reporting and provision of highly specialized professional/technical instructions and guidance to Finance and Program staff under the guidance of the Chief Financial Officer. The Accounting Manager will assist the Chief Financial Officer with the development of financial policies as necessary to ensure compliance with all private and public sector funding requirements, regulations, GAAP and best business practices. This position requires an experienced 'hands on accountant' who supports the Chief Financial Officer.
· Supervises the preparation of all accounting records for period-end close, including invoices, general journal entries, payroll, cash receipts and cash disbursements.
· Reviews payroll. Reconciles monthly leave accruals and various payroll-related employee benefits. Including the review and calculation of the annual employer pension contribution.
· Reviews all general ledger activity and ensures proper reconciliation of general ledger accounts. Prepares month end adjustments (accruals/deferrals).
· Prepares, reconciles and enters funding advances to international offices.
· Reviews costs, invoicing and reports for grants and contracts for compliance.
· Prepares monthly trial balance and financial statements for review by the Chief Financial Officer.
· Reviews all bank and credit card reconciliations ensuring accuracy.
· Manages the issuance of corporate credit cards for staff and ensures compliance with FLA policies.
· Review and maintain the outstanding advance and AP/AR aging reports. Ensure the timely collection of outstanding advances and other receivables.
· Oversee and coordinate the preparation and completion of the annual audit and all required tax returns are completed in a timely manner.
· Adiministrators and maintains the accounting software. Maintains chart of accounts and report formatting under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer.
· Ensures compliance with legal regulations, financial management policies and procedures.
· Oversees all aspects of financial record keeping within FLA ensuring compliance with industry and government standards.
· Assists in the Chief Financial Officer with the annual budget preparation and regular cash flow projections.
· Assist the Chief Financial Officer with the development of policies and procedures to strengthen internal controls.
· Provides administrative support to the Chief Financial Officer with the Finance and Audit Committee meetings and special projects.
· Directly supervise finance staff in accordance with the FLA's policies, procedures, and applicable laws in consultation with the Chief Financial Officer.
· Plans, assigns, and directs work; appraises performance; rewards and disciplines employees; addresses complaints and resolves problems in consultation with the Chief Financial Officer.
· Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field and minimum of seven (7) years' experience in related field or Master's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field with five (5) years of experience in related field.
· Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of government cost principles, Standard practices, GAAP, Federal and State Payroll Taxes, Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), AIDAR and OMB Circulars A-122 and A-133
· Experience with and understanding of government grants, contracts, and related regulations.
· Experience working in an international non-profit organization. Association experience is a plus.
· Strong analytical, critical thinking, creative problem solving, initiative, and decision-making skills.
· Proficiency in computers with current computer software (MS Word, Excel, Accounting -Abilia MIP preferred.).
· Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, set priorities, work independently, and in a team environment.
· Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills. Must be able to interact and communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization. Must be able to communicate with tact and diplomacy and provide excellent customer service.
· Adept attention to detail.
· Experience working in a multi-cultural environment and ability to interact with people from other cultures.
· Strong supervisory experience.
Apply at Careers at FLA.