Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Vice President, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEl) to design, develop, and deliver a comprehensive diversity, equity, and inclusion program with a primary focus on the national office. The DEl platform created should lay the foundation for a program that can be scaled across the entire Federation. This senior leader will be the primary catalyst and change agent for a wide range of both internal and external-facing DEl work. This person will report to the Chief HR Officer and manage a Associate Director level direct report. This role requires all three capabilities: strategic, operational, and tactical with the ability to recognize which capability is needed and when. This leader needs to be able to work independently and yet balance between pushing innovation and meeting the key stakeholders where they are in the DEl journey. He/she/they will be required to build inspiring and effective diversity, equity, and inclusive programs and strategies that reflect the Planned Parenthood mission, culture, and colleagues.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide highly collaborative leadership and imagination. Work closely with the Senior Leadership Team and other internal bodies (e.g. the Diversity and Inclusion Council, Race Equity Initiative, SOLIDARITY people of color convening, Employee Resource Groups, etc.) to implement initiatives designed to build equity, and attract, develop, and retain diverse talent who want to positively impact women's reproductive healthcare. The new leader will be responsible for quickly understanding the complexity and breadth of Planned Parenthood's external and internal environment and then design and oversee the delivery of smart, culture specific DEl programs. This person will help build strong cultural competence in leaders and enhance PPFA's ability to respond to emerging issues, ideas, and challenges.
- Develop and coordinate all DEl efforts across the national organization. One of the most important goals for this leader is to bring all diversity, equity, and inclusion work into a comprehensive framework under one area by helping the leaders of existing work understand and buy into an overarching DEl change strategy. This includes but is not limited to education programs, business interventions, community outreach through the Employee Resource Groups, special programs, and workforce and workplace initiatives. A second goal will be to work with other subject matter experts on a DEl leadership and staff curriculum. Ensure that all senior leadership, mid-level managers, and staff are educated about and understand their responsibilities with respect to discrimination, cultural competence, historic and systemic racism, bias and harassment.
- Serve as a key liaison between Senior Leadership and selected internal bodies working on diversity, equity and inclusion. Design blueprints to help internal DEl bodies, ensuring they are maximizing their time together and delivering programmatic and mission-advancing recommendations work (E.g. Work with the Employee Resource Groups to provide input and influence on cultural awareness efforts and promote the professional development of its members).
- Monitor, measure and report progress on organization initiatives related to diversity, equity and inclusion. Develop success measures and a way to track PPFA's progress. Participate in initiating and supporting data-driven plans to identify where improvement is needed in talent recruitment, development and retention and ensuring the sustainability of PPFAs progress in diversity-related areas. Provide metrics that embed D&l throughout the organization, including full talent management, donor diversification, budgeting, and programmatic work.
- Maintain awareness of global issues and trends in diversity and inclusion, and use emerging information to educate workforce. Coach and mentor hiring managers, human resources, and senior leadership and mid-level managers on diversity issues and trends. Understand the emerging demographics with the talent base that follows Millennials (e.g. Gen Z). Design workplace strategies to attract, develop, and retain a dynamic and multi-generational workforce.
- Advanced degree in HR Management desired but will accept Bachelor's degree with multi-year experience.
- 10+ years of Human Resource experience; at least 5 years of experience in diversity management (developing and implementing broad-based strategies which required the endorsement of an executive leadership team).
- Embraces quantitative and qualitative data as integral to developing strategy.
- Well-developed interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and advanced facilitation experience.
- Must be able to effectively communicate information to all levels of the organization.
- Proven ability to build relationships and deepen connections with internal and external communities across all races, genders, sexual orientations, and generations.
- Demonstrated skills in organizational change management processes; has experience with success and failure.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to influence decision-making, motivate individuals and teams at all levels, and foster the leadership and creativity of others.
- Proven effectiveness in enhancing diversity recruiting and retention practices.
- Excellent project and program management skills.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to manage challenging and uncomfortable topics with every level in the workplace.
- Even temperament under stress, pressure, and resistance.
- Strong commitment and alignment of values with those of the organization.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with competing or overlapping priorities.
- Must be flexible, compassionate, and a good problem-solver.
- Ability to separate personal opinion from key messages important to the organization.
- Needs to be able to drive results without disenfranchising stakeholders or beneficiaries, but at the same time not backing down from a challenge to what's planned.