There's an energy and excitement here, a shared mission to improve the lives of others as well as our own. Nursing here isn't for everybody. Instead of seeing a handful of patients each day, your work may affect millions for years to come. Ready for a new path? Start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Wound Care Nurse LVN assists the Wound Care Nurse RN with screening, tracking, monitoring and coordinating the care of selected members with non-healing wounds. The Wound Care Nurse LVN works in conjunction with the physician advisor to the program, the Wound Care Nurse RN, and attending physicians who frequently act as the physician representatives. This LVN acts as an advocate for members and their families in providing them the resources and care for assisting wound resolution with the goal towards maximum level of independence.
- Interacts and collaborates with an interdisciplinary care team, which includes physician, nurse, case managers, pharmacists, laboratory technologists, radiology, social workers, dietitians and home health care staff
- Solves problems by gathering and/or reviewing facts, and selecting the best solution from identified alternatives
- Collaborates on the development of wound management protocols in conjunction with the Wound Care Nurse RN, physician advisor, and/or Lead Physician Committee
- Identifies non-healing wound patients who will benefit from wound management (case-finding and screening) contracts, providers, and facilities
- Tracks patients’ status and adjusting of wound management treatment based on standard wound care protocols and recommendations from the PCP or physician advisor
- Enters data timely and accurately into specific databases and other applications necessary to communicate patient needs
- Assesses the patient’s informal and formal support systems and educates them about the wound healing process
- Provides reports and data analysis to management including utilization of the program and outcomes
- Participates in the development of an appropriate QI process, establishing and monitoring indicators. Takes corrective actions when data shows a need to modify management strategies or systems
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
This position is located at WellMed, Medical Drive “Wound Care” - near Medical CTR., Dr. and Fredericksburg Rd. This position requires travel to other WellMed locations: Greenway Pk., Crockett Pk., etc. Must have reliable transportation!
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Current and unrestricted Vocational/Practical Nursing license required for state of employment
- Current BLS and/or CPR certification
- Knowledge of wound care, medical terminology, referral process, and ICD-9 and CPT coding
This position requires Tuberculosis screening as well as proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis through lab confirmation of immunity, documented evidence of vaccination, or a doctor’s diagnosis of disease
- 2+ years of related LVN experience
- 3+ years experience in caring for the acutely ill patient with wound care experience.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced and deadline driven environment
- Ability to maintain professionalism and a positive service attitude at all times
Physical & Mental Requirements:
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds
- Ability to push or pull heavy objects using up to 35 pounds of force
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to receive and comprehend instructions verbally and/or in writing
- Ability to use logical reasoning for simple and complex problem solving
Careers with WellMed. Our focus is simple. We're innovators in preventative health care, striving to change the face of health care for seniors. We're impacting 240,000+ lives, primarily Medicare eligible seniors in Texas and Florida, through primary and multi-specialty clinics, and contracted medical management services. We've joined Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, and our mission is to help the sick become well and to help patients understand and control their health in a lifelong effort at wellness. Our providers and staff are selected for their dedication and focus on preventative, proactive care. For you, that means one incredible team and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: WellMed, Healthcare, Bilingual, Licensed Vocational Nurse, LVN/LPN, Wound Care, WOCN, Ostomy, Healing Process, San Antonio, New Braunfels, Seguin, Gonzales, Shiner, Yoakum, Boerne, Floresville, Helotes, Texas, TX