Climate & Energy Program
Chicago, IL Office
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet's most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for stemming the tide of global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.
UCS is in need of a detail-loving assistant: a great communicator, a superb scheduler, and a thorough and attentive note-taker who will support our important work on climate change and clean energy solutions. If you're organized and efficient, you care about the world around you, and you've never met a calendar you couldn't tame, we need you to help our program run as smoothly as possible. The program assistant will provide a broad range of administrative and logistical support for the Climate & Energy Program (C&E) program, in addition to office and IT support for the Chicago, IL office.
- As a key member of the campaign team, you will provide scheduling support and note taking for regular campaign meetings.
- Provide production assistance and/or research and database support for projects such as reports, including securing rights to photographs, utilizing in-house production templates.
- Help plan events, including coordinate event participant lists and invitations, manage meeting communications, help create and refine meeting agendas, arrange travel, manage logistical details for event space/hotels and catering, compile meeting and presentation materials and notes.
- Support campaign leadership with planning and logistics of various activist and expert trainings, action alerts, and deployment of experts.
- Provide office management for the UCS Chicago office including monthly coordination with Headquarters office manager. Monitor office inventory of supplies and UCS publications; track office management paperwork including receipts; implement office safety protocols including emergency preparedness training.
- In coordination with the IT director, provide support including video meeting and office Wi-Fi set up and troubleshooting in the UCS Chicago office. Provide basic support for technology related issues in Chicago office including computers and videoconferencing software and microphones.
- Provide program-wide administrative assistance. This may include set up and management of external consultant contracts, invoice payment and tracking, scheduling and meeting room set-up, maintenance, organization, and tracking of the program's operational spending. Maintain sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
Qualifications and experience
Position requires one to two years of relevant experience as an administrative, executive, or research assistant. Experience using Microsoft Excel and Outlook, meeting scheduling, conducting web research, event planning, and familiarity with climate and energy issues is preferred. Bachelor's degree or equivalent is preferred.
Strong organizational abilities and good written and oral communication skills are needed. Must be able to work both independently and in teams, and to interact professionally with senior scientists and policymakers and in sensitive matters. Effective communication and relationship building skills with diverse audiences and willingness to look at all work through the lens of racial justice and equity are a must.
May spend extended periods at computer. Travel is not anticipated.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we're dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We're also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS's Chicago, IL office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is $41,800. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, how you learned about the position to (see application details) with "CE Program Assistant" in the subject line. Materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please. Deadline: September 25, 2018 or until filled.