Union of Concerned Scientists
All jobs → Strategic Partnerships Coordinator
Strategic Partnerships Coordinator
Oakland, CA, California, United States
- Climate & Energy Program
Strategic Partnerships Coordinator
Climate & Energy Program
Union of Concerned Scientists
Oakland, CA Office
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit working to solve some of our planet's most pressing environmental and safety problems. Our scientists and engineers develop and implement innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet's most pressing problems-from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
We are seeking a thoughtful, creative, motivated and out-going individual for a Strategic Partnerships Coordinator position based in our Western States regional office in downtown Oakland, CA. Your primary responsibilities will be to create and strengthen relationships, communication, engagement and coordination with individual leaders and organizations in under-represented California constituencies with a strong emphasis on the Latinx community.
Your aim will be to co-create genuine partnerships, campaigns and projects that advance common objectives with diverse constituencies in California and other Western states. Responsibilities include developing and cultivating relationships with technical experts for the UCS Science Network, finding common ground with leading Latinx and other statewide and community organizations, working with elected/community leaders and thought-leaders, and providing opportunities to support Western states campaigns and learn how UCS campaigns can help support others.
- Cultivate and deepen relationships between UCS and allies in the California Latinx community. Align goals and strategies around climate justice, environmental sustainability, equitable energy and transportation policies in the region.
- Identify potential allies and develop new relationships, particularly in the Latinx community, with scientists, engineers, labor leaders, religious, business and environmental justice groups.
- Help UCS scientists and analysts identify research and analyses opportunities from key allies and partners that could benefit under-represented communities in the region.
- Help design and implement outreach strategies and efforts to achieve campaign goals.
- Educate and mobilize UCS members, activists and experts on California and Western states campaigns, with focus on recruiting Latinx, people of color and other experts.
- Conceptualize, draft, and edit action alerts.
- Develop web content and material, and help to ensure California and Western states website pages are up-to-date, in Spanish and English.
- Design activities and events to benefit audiences and constituencies relevant to Latinx community engagement and relationship development.
- Organize, coordinate, and participate in other events to enlist support of UCS activists and experts.
- Project manage collaborative projects between UCS and its key allies and partners as needed.
- Maintain a working knowledge of Western states policy issues and climate impacts and solutions. Possibly participate in advocacy activities such as meetings with legislators or state agency staff.
Qualifications and Experience
- Seven to ten years of comparable experience in outreach and/or organizing. Policy and/or media experience and contacts are highly desirable.
- Must be bilingual and have strong oral, writing, and editing skills in both English and Spanish. Demonstrated ability to write compelling copy for online actions.
- Knowledge of grassroots and online organizing and effective issue campaign development on the local and state-wide levels required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with broad audiences - from community activists, business leaders, and policy makers to academic scientists and other experts. Track record of working with Latinx constituencies and experience coordinating with partners from various backgrounds is required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is preferred. (At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.)
- Self-motivation, strong interpersonal skills, attention to details, and experience balancing competing priorities are a must.
- Experience working with scientists, as well as communication and project management experience a plus, as is knowledge of clean vehicles, climate, and energy policy, environmental/public health, and legislative processes.
- A solid level of understanding of database maintenance, web management and on-line organizing tools, as well as Microsoft Office, is required. Some supervisory experience is also preferred.
Significant travel within California is required (driving and flying), as well as some travel to other states, primarily on the west coast/western region of the US. Expect about two car trips monthly and four to five longer-distance, overnight trips per year.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we're dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We're also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've are committed to this because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work. Benefits
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in our downtown Oakland, CA office. For those who meet all position requirements, the annual salary is $66,500. The Union of Concerned Scientists offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org. A listing of all open jobs is available at https://www.ucsusa.org/about/jobs-ucs.
To Apply: UCS has an exclusive engagement with an outside recruiting consultant, Reed Foster, to help us fill this position. Please email a cover letter, resume, salary expectations, and how you learned about the position to [email protected], and mention "Strategic Partnerships Coordinator" in the subject line. Word or PDF format only.
Apply for this job