Union of Concerned Scientists
All jobs -> Western States Outreach Coordinator Western States Outreach Coordinator
Oakland, CA, California, United States
Clean Vehicles and Climate & Energy Programs Description
In California, Oregon, and Washington, UCS is working to advance renewable energy, clean transportation, and climate solutions. To help further these campaigns, we seek a quick-learning, creative, organized, and outgoing person to join our Western States team as an Outreach Coordinator in our California office in downtown Oakland. The Outreach Coordinator will develop and implement campaign organizing activities, engage activists and scientific experts in online and in-person actions, and build relationships with strategic partners in ways that complement the work of analytic and policy staff. You will be joining a team of California-based colleagues who are working to further West Coast leadership on clean vehicles and freight, fuels, energy, climate, and infrastructure issues as we provide much-needed examples to the world of how to de-carbonize a major economy while preparing for the unavoidable impacts of a changing climate and delivering equitable solutions that benefit all communities.
- Plan and implement components of Western States campaigns on clean transportation, fuels, energy, and climate issues. Working with the Western States Campaign Manager, advocacy and analytic staff, develop and implement grassroots and grasstops outreach strategies to achieve legislative and regulatory campaign goals and design and implement corporate and consumer-oriented outreach efforts.
- Recruit and mobilize experts in the UCS Science Network, supporters, and activists to take online and in-person action in support of campaigns. Seek to expand and diversify our expert network.
- Working with the Communications team, help to implement online tactics including action alert emails, social media visibility, web content, and webinars.
- Build strategic relationships with existing and new partners, including public health, labor, industry, environmental justice communities, and racial or social justice organizations. Coordinate with existing partners to further campaign objectives.
- Represent UCS at major events and conferences to promote UCS and the Clean Vehicles and Climate & Energy Programs. Turn complicated technical and policy expertise into a compelling narrative for the public and supporters.
- Provide timely and accurate production assistance for selected publications. Help promote major UCS analytic and communications products.
- Stay up-to-date on rapidly changing issues. Conduct research on decision makers, industries, and other potential stakeholders to identify key points of leverage.
- Track, evaluate, and report back on campaign activities to evaluate effectiveness and demonstrate UCS's role in winning campaigns for our funders, donors, and supporters.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor's degree and 3 to 5 years of relevant and comparable experience in campaign organizing and policy advocacy.
- Demonstrated success working with volunteers, grassroots organizing, coalition building, and/or online and offline mobilization tools.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is expected, along with the ability to interact professionally with individuals with a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, skills, and responsibilities.
- Excellent persuasive writing and oral communication skills for a general audience with attention to accuracy. Ability to represent UCS' work to both general public and expert audiences.
- Requires strong web research and computer skills including Microsoft Office. Significant self-motivation, strong time management, project management, attention to detail, and interpersonal skills are essential. The ability to work both independently and in teams in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects and deadlines is required.
- Familiarity with state regulatory and legislative political processes is a plus.
- Knowledge of transportation and climate issues is a plus, or enthusiasm for in-depth content learning.
- Knowledge of online email management and database software a plus.
- Bilingual or conversationally fluent in Spanish a plus.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we're dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We're also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
May require extended periods at a computer. May need to occasionally lift and carry boxes of supplies or publications.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate. Benefits
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time, exempt position based in UCS's Oakland, CA office that will require travel. For candidates who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $52,500. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org. A listing of all open jobs is available at https://www.ucsusa.org/about/jobs-ucs.
To Apply: Please upload a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample intended for a public audience. Please include salary requirements and how you learned about the position in the cover letter. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please.
Deadline: February 3, 2019 or until filled. Apply for this job