Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch's pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation's first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women's Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here
Provide cancer-related and tobacco cessation information to patients, general public and health professionals through telephone, email and live chat channels via the National Cancer Institute's Contact Center (NCICC). The available position is for either the 5:45 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. or the 9:45 - 6:15 shift; however the hours of operation are from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. PST. The NCI's Contact Center Information Specialist works under the direction of the Contact Center Manager, Assistant Manager and Supervisors.
May perform some or all of the following responsibilities:
- Respond to requests for cancer-related and/or tobacco cessation information received by phone, email or Instant Messaging
- Identify the needs of callers/users through needs assessment and establish good rapport in order to facilitate communication
- Use NCI and NCI-approved resources and referrals to answer callers'/users' questions. Resources are accessed through the NCI's Contact Center intra-net, the NCI's Cancer.gov website or medical textbooks
- Interpret and articulate complex concepts in a conversational manner, for callers of diverse backgrounds, cognitive abilities and emotional states
- Discuss tobacco cessation strategies with people who want to quit using tobacco
- Conduct computer searches of the NCI's clinical trials database to provide callers/users with appropriate clinical trial information
- Actively participate in a variety of continuing education events and programs, which are designed to improve the staff's skills and cancer knowledge
- Conduct and implement research protocols as needed. May include proactively delivering health messages or implementing motivational interviewing techniques as required by research projects
- Adhere to strict policies, procedures and quality assurance guidelines
- Accept regular internal monitoring and feedback of calls and/or review of transcripts of instant messaging and email sessions
- Participate in continuous quality improvement efforts, which include recording of calls by the national project office
- Perform other responsibilities as required
Cover letter to express interest in the role (required).
- Bachelor's degree (required)
- Bilingual Spanish skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use effective judgment and sensitivity
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Experience working with a broad range of people
- Demonstrated success as a team player
- Highly skilled in navigating complex websites
- Excellent attendance and dependability
- Ability to operate within mandated guidelines
- Ability to accept and integrate feedback to ensure continuous quality
- We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor
This position requires compassion and a strong sense of commitment to learning all aspects of the job. Sucessful candidates will attend 6 weeks of extensive training
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and VEVRAA Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at (see application details) or by calling (see application details).
See job description.