The Health Educator is responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating health education classes to health plan members and community members in a variety of settings, including provider offices, community based organizations, and county locations. This position will work with the provider and county to identify opportunities, and create evidence-based curricula that is culturally and linguistically appropriate. The position requires the ability to assess health education and information needs for members and providers, develop appropriate learning materials and programs, assess program effectiveness through ongoing monitoring, and provide analytical summaries of program participation and effectiveness.. Programs offered will meet regulatory requirements and effectively improve health outcomes and quality of life of Plan Members.
The position is located in San Diego, CA. You will have the flexibility to telecommute as you take on Health Education Program activities throughout the county. Positions in this function are responsible for, or assist with, needs assessment, program planning, and implementation, coordination of the clinical programs and evaluation of program activities for Member engagement. The role is expected to be in the field, providing education and support up to 80% time in San Diego County and the remaining time will be supplemented with office or home based administrative - associated work.
- Develop, implement and manage Health Education Program activities consistent with regulatory requirements per the Department of Healthcare Services (DHCS), the Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and the National Committee on Quality Assurance (NCQA)
- Develop and/or assist with the design of comprehensive, holistic health strategies for onsite wellness programs using lab screenings, medical claims and health risk data to establish link between modifiable health risks, chronic disease and health costs
- Develop and conduct Member Engagement outreach via multiple communication channels
- Deliver Health Education programs to Members via virtual and/or in-person forums
- Implement recall activities for performance improvement and care gap closure
- Develop health education content and/or materials for various topics. For example, develop brief UHC On-Air learning series
- Support the implementation of Diabetes prevention Program
- Field test health education materials to assess usability and content appropriateness
- Complete the DHCS Readability and Suitability Checklist to assess Health Education materials
- Design and conduct pre and post evaluations and diagnostic studies to assess the quality and performance of health education programs and materials
- Review and develop health education materials to ensure they meet regulatory requirements including standards of Cultural and Linguistic appropriateness
- Assist with the coordination of the Group Needs Assessment per DHCS requirements
- Assist with providing training to UHC personnel, Providers, and Members in the area of health education, Cultural and Linguistics, and UHC health education operations. Prepare training materials
- Assist with creating department operational procedures for Health Education operations, including the Operational Accountability, Training Manual for schedulers and educators as well as processes for reporting, referrals, education etc
- Serve as a health education resource to UHC personnel, Members and Providers, providing feedback and recommendations as needed
- Perform any additional duties as assigned by the Health Education and Cultural and Linguistics Manager to ensure optimal operations of the Quality Department
Master’s in Public Health (MPH) with a health education or health promotion emphasis
1+year experience in community health education experience (certified health educator specialist preferred, CHES or MCHES)
- 1+ years of experience in planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating health education programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate
- Knowledge of and proven ability to incorporate Adult Learning Theory and Health Behavior models into health education programs
- Proven experience in the development of effective Health Education programs, materials, and curriculum
- 3+ years’ experience with a managed care health plan
- Experience with Quality Management regulatory requirements for the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS), the Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC), Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the National Committee of Quality Assurance (NCQA)
- Familiarity with the Medi-Cal Program, and the requirements of the Health Education and Quality Departments at DHCS
- Experience with software to assess readability level such as SMOG test
- Bilingual English / Spanish Skills
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Community & State. Challenge brings out the best in us. It also attracts the best. That's why you'll find some of the most amazingly talented people in health care here. We serve the health care needs of low income adults and children with debilitating illnesses such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, HIV / AIDS and high - risk pregnancy. Our holistic, outcomes - based approach considers social, behavioral, economic, physical and environmental factors. Join us. Work with proactive health care, community and government partners to heal health care and create positive change for those who need it most. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: MPH, Master's in Public Health, health education, health promotion, community health, disease prevention, disease management, readability, smog test, CHES, MCHES, Medi-Cal, Medicaid, bilingual, Farsi, Spanish, San Diego, SD, CA, California