NYU Langone Hospital - Brooklyn is a full-service teaching hospital and Level I trauma center located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The hospital is central to a comprehensive network of affiliated ambulatory and outpatient practices, and serves as NYU Langone Health's anchor for healthcare access, growth, and delivery in the entire borough. Learn more about NYU Langone Hospital - Brooklyn .
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Community Health Worker.
The Community Health worker is part of an interdisciplinary team that includes, but is not limited to, medical and behavioral health providers servicing patients who suffer from complex medical and/or psychiatric co-morbid conditions. The position involved working primarily with patients with behavioral health, substance use, and psychiatric difficulties. By ensuring patients remain or become engaged in services/programming, are educated about self-care issues, and are assisted with access to care, the Community Health Worker will be part of a team that improves patient health and thus quality of life.
- Determine patients care transitions needs via screening in various care settings (Emergency Room, hospital, at home, etc). Create transitional plan, when needed, with goals designed to address medical, behavioral health, and social determinants to improve health outcomes.
- Assist patient with accessing a full range of medical, behavioral health, chemical dependency, psychosocial, and community services including referral to self-help groups and community organizations.
- Advocate for patients when barriers to care exist including language and literacy barriers, access to transportation, problems with insurance coverage, child care problems, appointment scheduling conflict, etc.
- Provide office and community based support services to patients (E.g.- Patient escorts to medical appointments, medical appointment reminders, assistance with obtaining medications from pharmacies, etc.)
- Assist patients and their families with benefits, entitlements, and housing as well as any other identified needs that impact patients physical health and emotional well-being.
- Maintain electronic records and compile statistical data in accordance with the departments standards. Complete documentation within required time frames.
- Conduct outreach efforts in the community to engage high risk patients in case management services.
- Maintain caseload size established by the department and meet monthly outreach and engagement productivity requirements.
- Assist Case/Care Manager with coordination of patient care in the community, when the patient is hospitalized, and during transition from hospital to home.
- Assist Care/Case Management staff or take lead in conducting pre-visit planning and hospital discharge phone outreach (Program Dependent).
- Performs other duties as assigned or volunteered in alignment with NYULMC mission, goals and values.
- Prepare for and participate in any individual or team meetings/supervision as required by the department.
- Utilize necessary web based applications and other technologies on a variety of platforms to address population management goals and departmental needs.
- Attend trainings and/or webinars related to behavioral health as assigned
To qualify you must have a High School Diploma/GED
Candidate should have at least 1 year experience in a health service related field.
Computer literate (Microsoft Office), telephone, fax machine, and photocopy machine skills required.
Experience working with patients who are diagnosed with mental health, substance abuse, and/or chronic health conditions in a variety of inpatient and outpatient settings, including home based visits.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Hospital - Brooklyn provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Hospital- Brooklyn's EEO policies, please click here . Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here .
NYU Langone Hospitals- Brooklyn
Company Location Description
DSRIP-Patient Navigation (L23095)