Union of Concerned Scientists
All jobs -> Partnerships and Community Advocate Partnerships and Community Advocate
Oakland, California, United States
Climate & Energy Program Description
Partnerships and Community Advocate
Climate & Energy Program
Union of Concerned Scientists
Oakland, CA Office
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit working to solve some of our planet's most pressing environmental and safety problems. Our scientists and engineers develop and implement innovative, practical solutions for a healthy, safe, and sustainable future-from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
We are seeking a creative, motivated, disciplined, and outgoing individual for a position based in our office in downtown Oakland, CA. Your primary responsibilities will be to create and strengthen relationships, communication, and coordination with individual leaders and organizations in California (and other Western states), with a strong emphasis on the Latinx community.
Your aim will be to advance our common goals through co-creating partnerships, campaigns, and projects with like-minded community leaders and organizations. Responsibilities include developing and cultivating relationships with technical experts for the UCS Science Network, finding common ground with leading Latinx and other statewide and community organizations, working with elected/community leaders and thought leaders, and providing opportunities to support Western states campaigns and learn how UCS campaigns can help support others.
Summary of Responsibilities
- with scientists, engineers, labor leaders, religious, and business groups. Organize, coordinate, and participate in recruitment, cultivation, and campaign events with partners. Occasionally serve as project manager for collaborative projects.
- on California and Western States campaigns, and conceptualize, draft, and edit communications (in English) to these audiences.
- Maintain a working knowledge of Western states' policy issues and climate impacts and solutions. Possibly participate in advocacy activities such as meetings with legislators or state agency staff.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Seven to ten years of comparable experience in organizing and advoacy. Policy experience and contacts are a plus.
- Must be bilingual and have strong oral communications skills in both English and Spanish.
- Strong English writing skills is required, as is a demonstrated ability to write compelling copy for online actions. Spanish writing skill a plus, but not required.
- Knowledge of offline and online organizing and effective issue campaign development on the local and state-wide levels required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with broad audiences-including community activists, business leaders, policy makers, academic scientists, and other experts. Track record of working with Latinx constituencies and experience coordinating with partners from various backgrounds is required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is preferred. (At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.)
- Self-motivation, strong interpersonal skills, attention to details, and experience balancing competing priorities are a must.
- Experience working with scientists, as well as communications and project management experience a plus, as is knowledge of clean transportation, climate, and energy policy, environmental/public health, and legislative processes.
- Experience with databases and online organizing tools, as well as Microsoft Office, is required. Some supervisory experience is also preferred.
Significant travel within California is required (driving and flying), as well as some travel to other states, primarily on the West coast/Western region of the US. Expect about two car trips monthly and four to five longer-distance, overnight trips per year.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we're dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We're also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've are committed to this because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in our downtown Oakland, CA office. For those who meet all position requirements, the annual salary is $66,500. The Union of Concerned Scientists offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment.
To Apply: UCS has an exclusive engagement with an outside recruiting consultant, Reed Foster, to help us fill this position. Please email a cover letter, resume, salary expectations, and how you learned about the position to [email protected], and mention "Partnerships and Community Advocate" in the subject line. Word or PDF format only. Apply for this job