Arlington *METRO-accessible*, VA
Department of Management and Finance
Arlington County is seeking an experienced financial manager to support the Chief Financial Officer and the Department of Management & Finance (DMF) in the areas of financial management and budgeting, debt issuance and management, tax and revenue policy development, accounting, purchasing, real estate assessment, capital financing, and internal auditing.
The Department of Management & Finance's professional staff provide financial services for the County Government, seeking the most efficient and effective use of County funds to ensure a sound fiscal foundation and the delivery of high quality services. Arlington County is a full-service local government with operating budgets and capital investments funded via the general fund, special revenue and dedicated taxing sources, and enterprise funds. The County executes a general fund operating budget exceeding $1.3 billion and a $2.8 billion ten-year County Capital Improvement Plan.
Challenges/Opportunities facing the Deputy Director
- Building collaborative relationships across the organization while increasing the financial, budget and program analytical services provided to customer agencies;
- Encouraging a culture of internal controls across the County and continuing the development of the internal audit program;
- Streamlining the Purchasing program to meet the needs of multiple stakeholders including decentralized County agencies, vendors, and the Office of the County Attorney, while ensuring compliance with all purchasing regulations and ensuring citizens get optimal value for their taxes;
- Expanding a performance measurement process and system;
- Leveraging of existing and new technology systems to streamline accounting and financial processes and to improve the transparency of financial data to the public; and
- Reengineering services, including continuing the development of short-term and long-range process improvements department-wide.
The Deputy provides direction for and support to coordination within the department's divisions and serves as the CFO in the latter's absence. The ideal candidate must be a high energy, articulate leader with solid fiscal management expertise and an ability to drive change.
We are seeking a well-respected, experienced leader with a record of achievement in the finance industry and local and/or state government finance including:
- An understanding of the role of a professional financial staff division within the scope of local government services and a record of positive contributions as a member of a management team;
- Strong leadership experience in several of the following areas: financial management, budgeting, purchasing, accounting, debt management or internal auditing;
- Demonstrated ability in developing working relationships and partnerships with colleagues to effect change, and to facilitate issue resolution;
- High level quantitative analysis, extracting, interpreting and evaluating financial data;
- Fiscal management expertise that demonstrates an awareness of municipal funding streams and revenue sources to include general funds, tax revenues, state and federal funding, and developing and modifying financial and debt policies;
- Familiarity with current financial, auditing, and budgeting practices and experience identifying ways to improve efficiencies or effectiveness of County operations;
- Experience automating financial processes and developing and improving financial reports such as the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR);
- Understanding of state and federal regulations that impact local government financial management such as Governmental Accounting Standards Board and federal and state grant requirements; and
- Experience developing and implementing internal controls for fiscal activities to prevent fraud, waste and abuse or financial conflicts of interest.
Arlington is one of 45 counties in the United States to be awarded a triple AAA bond rating. These ratings were confirmed in April 2016, with the rating agencies citing the County's conservative financial management, sizable and affluent tax base, controlled expenditure growth and moderate debt burden. The County Government consists of 13 departments and 5 elected constitutional offices led by elected officials providing a full array of urban services, with over 3500 employees. In addition, there is a close working relationship with Arlington's schools system which is funded through the County Board.
For more information about the County, please click here .
Arlington, Virginia, is an attractive, well-planned community in which to live, visit or conduct business with a unique blend of excellent location, desirable living standard, and effective, proactive government. An urban County of about 26 square miles located across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C.., Arlington is best known to visitors as the home of the Pentagon and Arlington National Cemetery. Arlington has won recognition as an innovative, progressive and dynamic organization that is well-known for its community-driven processes with significant and meaningful opportunity for public participation.
Over the years, Arlington has received national recognition for its forward-thinking policies and practices including Smart Growth, Intelligent Communities, Best Places To Live, and Family Friendly Workplace awards.
The County Board encourages a high level of citizen involvement in local government. Arlington has an estimated population of 220,400 and is among the most densely populated jurisdictions in the country. About 39% of residents are Hispanic, African-American, Asian or multi-racial. Arlington County public school children speak 104 languages and hail from 116 countries. More than 72% of adults have bachelor's degrees and 38% have graduate or professional degrees.
Civic engagement is a strong value in this community. The County government continually creates effective venues for all citizens, with a special emphasis on those who are traditionally under-represented in civic processes, to become involved.
Education and Experience:
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business, Public Administration or related field from an accredited college or university with senior financial management experience in local or state government including significant supervisory and management experience in one or more of the following areas: budgeting, financial management, purchasing, debt management, auditing, and/or accounting functions.
Preferred candidates will have a record of significant accomplishments related to qualifications listed under the "Ideal Candidate" section and:
- Master's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business or Public Administration;
- Financial management experience in a complex, fast-paced urban, municipal agency;
- Experience in financing large programs, capital budgets, working with rating agencies and investors;
- Experience with performance management programs; and
- Experience with open data programs and technology used in financial operations.
A letter of application is required. Please use the space provided in the supplemental questionnaire or attach a letter addressing how your background meets the qualification requirements. Your letter should include a description of the size of the organization you served including budget and staff; the range of services and functions you managed and to whom you reported; and a specific list of significant accomplishments as related to the description above.
Completion of the Commonwealth of Virginia Statement of Economic Interest form will be required of the successful candidate. Pursuant to Section 27-9 of the Arlington County code, this position requires the completion of "Statement of Economic Interest" (Financial Disclosure) form upon acceptance of employment and annually thereafter.
The salary is negotiable, starting salary will depend upon the qualifications and experience of the candidate selected. This position is in the Arlington County Government's Senior Management Accountability Program (SMAP), in which Senior Program Managers are evaluated and compensated based on a performance agreement linked to the County's Management plan, and results achieved, among other criteria.
For more information on Arlington's family friendly benefits click here .
Applications will be reviewed continuously, with a preferred filing date of March 1, 2019 . Interviews will be scheduled with those candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Arlington County Government employee benefits depend on whether a position is permanent, the number of hours worked, and the number of months the position is scheduled.
Specific information on benefits and conditions of employment can be found on the Arlington County Human Resources Department website: (see application details)
Permanent, Full-Time Appointments
All jobs are permanent, full-time appointments unless otherwise stated in the announcement. The following benefits are available:
Paid Leave : Vacation leave is earned at the rate of four hours biweekly. Leave accrual increases every three years until eight hours of leave are earned biweekly for twelve or more years of service. Sick leave is earned at the rate of four hours biweekly. There are eleven paid holidays each year.
Health and Dental Insurance : Three group health insurance plans are offered - a network open access plan, a point-of-service plan, and a health maintenance organization. A group dental insurance plan is also offered. The County pays a significant portion of the premium for these plans for employees and their dependents. A discount vision plan is provided for eye care needs.
Life Insurance : A group term policy of basic life insurance is provided at no cost to employees. The benefit is one times annual salary. Additional life insurance is available with rates based on the employee's age and smoker/non-smoker status.
Retirement : The County offers three vehicles to help you prepare for retirement: a defined benefit plan, a defined contribution plan (401(a)), and a deferred compensation plan (457). The defined benefit plan provides a monthly retirement benefit based on your final average salary and years of service with the County. You contribute a portion of your salary on a pre-tax basis to this plan. General employees contribute 4% of pay; uniformed public safety employees contribute 7.5% of pay. Employees become vested in the plan at five years of service. The County also contributes to this plan.
For general employees, the County also contributes 4.2% of pay to a defined contribution plan (401(a)) . The County also matches your 457 contribution, up to $20 per pay period, in this plan. The 457 deferred compensation plan allows you to set aside money on either a pre-tax (457b) or post-tax (457 Roth) basis up to the IRS annual limit. New employees are automatically enrolled with a pre-tax contribution equal to 2% of your base pay.
Other Benefits: The County also offers health, dependent care, and parking flexible spending accounts; long-term care insurance; tuition assistance; transit and walk/bike to work subsidies; a college savings plan; wellness programs; training opportunities; and a variety of other employee benefits.
Permanent, Part-Time Appointments:
Part time employees who work ten or more hours per week receive paid leave and benefits in proportion to the number of hours worked per week.
Limited Term Appointments:
Benefits are the same as permanent appointments except that the employees do not achieve permanent status.
Temporary Regular Appointments:
Temporary regular employees who work 30 hours or more per week are eligible for health, dental, and basic life insurance as described above. They are also eligible for vacation, sick leave, and paid holidays.
Temporary Seasonal and Occasional Appointments:
Temporary employees who work on a seasonal basis or variable hours receive sick leave, but do not normally receive other paid leave or benefits. Exceptions are noted in individual announcements.