The color of pride: Benjamin Moore is proud to be a part of Berkshire Hathaway, which was recognized by Fortune magazine as the world's third most admired company. And for more than 130 years we've been a respected leader in the architectural coatings and home décor landscape; creating the products and tools that enrich and beautify thousands of communities each day. We recognize that our associates are the driving force behind our success and we strive to provide a work environment where hard work, creativity and purposeful collaboration are fostered and encouraged.
Join a company where innovation is constantly recognized as we look for individuals who produce world-class products, best-in-class services and customer experiences, design pioneering paints using the latest technologies and deliver unparalleled value and brand experiences for our customers and retail network.
The manufacturing engineering manager will manage the optimization of the plant equipment and process flow within the facility and oversee equipment installations. Evaluate processes to identify areas of improvement to employee safety, quality of product, and to the overall operational cost efficiencies. Must interface daily with operations to identify/resolve problems, implement solutions including diagnosing, troubleshooting, and resolving equipment issues. Through organization and planning skills, strategically coordinate the activities of the equipment development, capital equipment, procurement and successful implementation of engineering projects. The manufacturing engineer will specify and implement process control procedures and introduce new processes and equipment to improve production efficiencies, increase production yields, and support manufacturing as well as company objectives. The engineer will use proven problem solving methodologies to provide technical support to manufacturing. The individual will manage and coordinate the efforts of the Maintenance Department by setting standards for equipment, implementing TPM (total productive maintenance), and continuously achieving equipment performance metrics. The individual must be able to lead engineering projects in all aspects. He/She must be able to design and develop for new and modified equipment, specify, produce functional drawings, procure, and implement to satisfy production requirements. He/She will conduct studies in operations to maximize work flow and spatial utilization within the facility. The successful candidate should have a strong background in lean manufacturing and continuous improvement methodologies. Must have experience with administrating company policies.
- Optimizes manufacturing processes.
- Defines requirements and specifications for equipment.
- Optimizes equipment performance for efficiency and capacity.
- Responsible for plant-wide facilities, maintenance, upgrades, installation and equipment reliability in a latex paint/colorant and resin manufacturing facility.
- Ultimately responsible for Implementing/expanding/managing maintenance and "Reliability" of systems and equipment to continuously reduce downtime and improve site production performance.
- Manages the implementation of new equipment and/or the modifications to existing to improve plant efficiency and performance yields.
- Function as the plant owner of equipment installation, upgrades, and dependability issues, and leads or assist in trouble shooting processes or equipment issues.
- Develops long/short term strategies and improvement programs to close equipment consistency gaps.
- Leads electrical and mechanical maintenance groups.
- Leads preventive and predictive maintenance efforts to maximize plant uptime and reduce maintenance costs while improving reliability, quality and productivity.
- Develops and maintains effective lines of communication with the production departments to insure plant maintenance and reliability support for plant goals.
- Maintain good working relationship with all maintenance and manufacturing personnel.
- Participate In Continuous Improvement Projects and contribute to the success the lean manufacturing effort.
- Responsible for continuously improving operations through innovation and new concepts that improve results while reducing costs.
- This position is an active leader in driving productivity, quality and cost reduction efforts.
- Implement continuous improvement projects to address quality, material flow, through-put and productivity improvements.
- Establish and drive improvements in OEE (overall equipment effectiveness).
- Drive change in culture towards one of continuous improvement.
- Provide plant-wide, engineered operational analysis and production support to manufacturing which will result in lowering product cost, improving labor performance, cycle times, eliminating bottlenecks and improving throughput levels.
- Apply lean tools in the manufacturing environment. Analyze current work methods and processes for manufacturing operations by job functions and identify opportunities for improvement using Kaizen, shop floor management tools (QCDS), and other continuous improvement tools.
- Capable of creating value stream mapping for all processes, identifying opportunities through the VSM for improvement, and leading efforts to incorporate improvements. Have the ability to lead/participate in Kaizen, implement 5S systems, and lead cost reduction initiatives.
- Through time study analysis and methods development, quantify and qualify labor standards down to the operation level; make comparisons to actual for variance reviews.
- Lead efforts to incorporate new concepts into existing systems with particular emphasis on process repeatability, consistency, quality, controls & automation and cost reduction.
- Drive achievement of expected results for each project, while providing frequent results updates to peers and upper management.
- Organization of project needs and implementations (i.e., determine cost projections versus actual incurred, impact on workforce and facility operations, risk assessment vs advantages gained, etc.)
- Actively search for ideas and ways to reduce expenses and improve quality without compromising superior customer service.
- Thinks conceptually and intuitively from a lean prospective.
- Drives for continuous improvement.
- BS - engineering; must be from an ABET Accredited engineering Program -- Preferably BSME.
- Experience leading a shift, facility, maintenance group or department is highly desirable.
- Exposure to PLC control systems, AC/DC circuits, drive systems, basic machine controls.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional team environment with both salaried and hourly personnel to meet the needs of the operators, the program and the business.
- Demonstrated ability to develop / maintain area Reliability programs, as well as address short-term equipment operation issues.
- Ability to work in the plant reacting to problems and improvements/solutions.
- Demonstrated track record of successes leading maintenance / installation efforts in a high volume batch manufacturing facility.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Enjoys being on the floor hands on with all teams to drive performance improvements.
- Highly motivated and high initiative.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, and drive results at the same time able to work on a production team driving team goals.
- Hands on approach with all teams to initiate and drive success.
- Highly motivated, self-starter with an ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong Leadership Skills are Essential.
- Computer skills to include: Microsoft Project, Access, Excel, PowerPoint and Word, AutoCAD and Business Objects.
- Assignments in various manufacturing departments will be considered an asset. Experience with automation controls, mechanical and process engineering considered a plus.