Web Content Manager
Union of Concerned Scientists
Are you good at cutting through internet clutter with captivating messages? Can you think strategically about moving the needle on important social and environmental issues? Do you care about making meaningful change in the world? If so, the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) invites you to apply to our open Web Content Manager position.
As a Web Content Manager, you'll work hand-in-hand with scientists, campaigners, and lobby staff in our transportation and nuclear weapons campaigns, offering strategic communications advice and helping them distill their messages for a broad audience. You'll join a creative digital team in the UCS Communications department, tasked with creating, project-managing, and maintaining our organization's digital media presence. The content you'll be responsible for can range from written articles to visual and video-based storytelling projects.
The Union of Concerned Scientists is an independent national nonprofit working to solve some of our planet's most pressing environmental and safety problems. Our work ranges from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
The Web Content Manager:
- Provides day-to-day web content oversight and support for select UCS programs and campaigns
- Offers high-level strategic input on online communications efforts
- Writes, edits, and maintains content for a general audience, following established workflow and editorial processes.
- Ensures content is technically accurate, reflective of our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts, and aligned with UCS strategies and branding guidelines
- Either creates by themselves or project-manages multimedia projects, including interactive media and video. In collaboration with the web team, defines the best format for content initiatives, and serves as the primary contact for project vendors
- Edits, proofreads, and publishes blog posts, often in a time-sensitive manner. Ensures staff bloggers are posting with sufficient frequency and adhering to best practices. Holds regular meetings with staff bloggers and provides guidance as needed
- Oversees or helps with other sections of the website as assigned, or with broader organizational initiatives
- Maintains an understanding of UCS issues and positions, particularly in assigned content areas
Qualifications and Experience
Candidates must have strong project management skills, demonstrated knowledge of communications strategies, and familiarity with creating or project-managing basic online mediums: HTML, video, and interactive features.
Candidates should also have expert-level writing and editing skills. They should be proficient with the PC/Windows environment, especially MS Office. Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Google Analytics, and SEO best practices a plus. Familiarity with a CMS such as Drupal and WordPress a plus. Bachelor's degree or equivalent preferred.
Work requires at least five years' experience in web writing and digital media, content curation, and communications strategy. Candidates should be able to interpret complex scientific/technical content for general audiences.
Successful candidates will be very organized self-starters who possess outstanding attention to detail, and who can manage multiple projects/deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced, quickly evolving environment. The ability to communicate clearly and work effectively in a team environment is required. Experience in online advocacy is a plus.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
May spend extended periods at a computer. Occasional overnight travel required, roughly 5 days per year.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we're dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We're also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours, and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS's Cambridge, MA office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $60,000 annually. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org. A listing of all open jobs is available at https://www.ucsusa.org/about/jobs-ucs.
To Apply: Please upload a cover letter, resume, and writing sample. In your cover letter or resume, please highlight any digital media that you've been involved with. Please also include salary requirements in the cover letter. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Deadline: July 7, 2019, or until filled.
Apply for this job