NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn is a full-service teaching hospital and Level I trauma center located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The hospital is central to a comprehensive network of affiliated ambulatory and outpatient practices, and serves as NYU Langone Health's anchor for healthcare access, growth, and delivery in the entire borough. Learn more about NYU Langone Hospital - Brooklyn .
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Spanish Interpreter-LAS Program.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for the provision of spoken language interpreting services to limited English proficient (LEP) patients/families and health system staff. Assists with the scheduling, dispatching and managing of spoken language interpreting services.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations service standards and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
- Provides spoken language interpreting services for patients/families and staff.
- Adheres to the Code of Ethics as put forth by the National Council on Interpreting in Health Care (NCIHC).
- Educates staff on how to access, contact and schedule interpreting services. Educates staff on the appropriate and available use of interpreters and translation services (including provision of sight translations).
- Provides non-medical, non-clinical translations when appropriate. Recognizes limitations of providing translated documents and defers to qualified medical translators when indicated.
- Provides cultural brokering to patients/families and staff as needed.
- Assists with scheduling, dispatching and managing spoken language interpreting services, while communicating with staff, freelance and agency interpreters as needed.
- Follows-up and intervenes directly with areas/units when scheduling conflicts and/or issues arise.
- Demonstrates excellent communication (both written and verbal) and customer service skills with all levels of health system staff and patients (both in person and via telephone/email).
- Reports concerns and/or conflicts to Program Manager accordingly.
- Respects and maintains confidentiality of all patient, physician, staff and hospital related information.
- Utilizes health system and community resources for professional development and keeps current on changes in the medical interpreter profession.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or a certificate of completion from an interpreter training program by an accredited institution of no less than 40 hours.
- Possesses a minimum of 2 to 3 years of medical interpreting experience.
- Has good analytic skills to make decisions based on clinical implications.
- Highly proficient in use of MS Office.
- Detail-oriented and ability to multi-task.
- Good interpersonal, organizational, written and verbal communication, teamwork and customer service skills.
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish.
- Preferred certification as a medical interpreter through National Board Certification or Certification Commission for Health Care Interpreters.
- Previous experience providing translations of written materials preferred.
- Basic knowledge of Excel.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Hospital- Brooklyn's EEO policies, please click here . Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here .
NYU Langone Hospitals- Brooklyn
Company Location Description
Language Cult + Dis Services (L179691)