Manager within the Transportation Management Sourcing team responsible for competitively purchasing third party carrier services to win new TM customer opportunities, while retaining and growing existing customers. This position is responsible for establishing pricing strategies for quoting new transportation management deals, and managing all carrier procurement processes to support new customer implementations. These processes include RFP management, rate negotiations, and carrier contracting. Responsible for facilitating network wide RFP projects for existing customers, as well as executing stand-alone professional sourcing projects for new customers. This position is responsible for managing Penske's core carrier program, including development of existing core carriers, and adding new carriers to the network that fully meet Penske's carrier qualification requirements.
- Collaboration with Strategic Account Representatives on new customer sales process
- Lead sourcing team through new customer implementations and ensure smooth transition to the carrier management team for ongoing support post start-up
- Establish and develop pricing strategies for responding to prospective customer RFPs that ensure Penske is competitive and positioned to win new opportunities
- Utilize market trends, benchmarking, and historical rates in the formulation of pricing methodologies
- Management of all carrier procurement processes, including RFP creation and execution using CombineNet, rate negotiations, and contracting.
- Develop and manage the core carrier program for the US and Canada to ensure the best level of service at the most competitive prices
- Attract and contract with new carriers to support growth of both traditional TM customers and transactional brokerage customers
- Maintain and improve the Penske carrier database to ensure that Penske employees have quick and easy access to all Penske contracted carriers
- Manage the carrier compliance program to ensure carriers meet Penske standards, including insurance, DOT operating authorities, BASICS scores, and financial stability
- Establish carrier recognition and other incentive programs that reward high performing carriers and make Penske a carrier friendly shipper
- Manage the carrier contracting process and negotiate terms and conditions in carrier contracts to mitigate risk to Penske
- Standardization of carrier on-boarding processes to ensure quick start up and utilization of new carriers.
- Develop a World-Class carrier procurement organization by providing strategic vision, and day to day management and direction to staff
- Other projects as assigned by the Manager
- Bachelor's degree in business, supply chain management, or logistics preferred
- 5-7 years demonstrated transportation/logistics management & procurement experience
- Experience in international shipping and claims management preferred
- Previous supervisory experience and strong negotiation skills required
- Understanding of carrier operations, rate structures, contracts and tariffs
- Working knowledge of JDA TMS software, or equivalent platforms
- Self-confident and able to establish rapport at all levels of the organization
- Ability to present to customers in senior leadership positions
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products (word, excel, access, power point)
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong management and leadership skills required
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required.
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Logistics
Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies
around the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through its design, planning and execution in transportation, warehousing and freight management. Visit www.PenskeLogistics.com to learn more.