Reports To: Chair, Division of Humanities and Fine Arts
Standard Hours: Variable
FLSA Status: Exempt
Classification: Adjunct Faculty
The Division of Humanities and Fine Arts at Keuka College seeks adjunct instructors to teach introductory courses in Spanish beginning Fall 2018. Quality teaching is a top priority of the College, and we seek enthusiastic faculty who value and enjoy working closely with our student population. Instructors are needed to teach during day and evening hours. We provide an excellent opportunity to teach and grow professionally in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York. Keuka College has a strong commitment to principles of diversity and encourages applications from groups underrepresented in higher education.
- Instruct introductory-level courses in Spanish.
- Plan course instruction based upon approved syllabus, goals, and objectives.
- Follow outline provided to assure course content and objectives are met.
- Design, administer, and grade course assignments, essays and exams to assess achievement of course objectives as identified by the syllabus.
- Provide clear documentation of student progress through regular feedback, academic warnings, and midterm progress reports as necessary.
- Create a classroom environment conducive to learning and actively engage students.
- Plan effectively for classes and student success.
- Actively engage with students in the learning process.
- Maintain regular office hours to meet one-on-one with students.
- Work with the Program Director to ensure instructional and program quality.
- Contribute to program development through collaborative participation in curriculum design and review, promotion of collaborative partnerships and engaging with faculty, adjuncts, and/or students in joint projects.
- Responsible for ensuring that assigned tasks are completed in compliance with various institutional and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain a professional and courteous attitude at all times towards co-workers, internal and external customers, representing Keuka College, its programs, policies, and procedures in a positive and professional manner. Maintain effective working relationships to ensure institution-wide teamwork.
- Attend provided/necessary training and other meetings to support effectiveness within the position as required.
- Consistently demonstrate high standards of integrity by supporting the Keuka College mission, vision, and values and adhering to institutional policies.
- Maintain a high regard for student privacy in accordance with the FERPA privacy policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance is expected and required.
- Perform other functions as assigned by management.
- A Master's degree in Spanish Language/Literature or a relevant field is required; doctorate preferred.
- Native or near-native fluency and advanced level of proficiency (C1) in Spanish and English.
- Demonstrated excellence in college language teaching.
- Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications, online resources, and other technologies for the classroom.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Understand and behave with a high level of integrity and complete confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to be sensitive to and respond to needs/concerns of students, faculty, college staff and the public.
- Ability to work under pressure with a high tolerance for interruptions, and the ability to work with diverse groups of people.
- Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
In support of the Americans with Disabilities Act, this job description lists only those responsibilities and qualifications deemed essential to the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer