Sodexo is seeking a skilled and career-oriented Food Production Manager 2 to support Campus Resident Dining at the University of Alabama at Birmingham located in beautiful Birmingham, AL!
This individual will oversee a culinary team including Line Cooks, Utility, Inventory Managers, Stock & Receiving staff, and front-line personnel. Knowledge of and former experience with proprietary Sodexo systems (DRIVE, KRONOS, TMC, SMG, STG) preferred and intermediate computer skills are a must. The position will operate within the Campus Dining Culinary Leadership team and report to the Campus Executive Chef while working within larger campus community support network. While based in Resident Dining, support of Catering and Retail operations during off peak hours and times of the year will be expected. Traditional hours of operation will be based off of customer traffic patterns and will include occasional weekend and holiday shifts throughout the year.
UAB is a comprehensive urban university with a nationally recognized academic health centre. UAB is the only public, four-year degree granting university in the state's largest metropolitan area. UAB is the largest research institution in the state of Alabama and the university is the largest employer in Birmingham.
The ideal candidate will have:
- College/University culinary experience
- The ability to inspire a kitchen staff
- Emphasis on food presentation, quality, diversity cuisines, menu design & implementation
- Focus on customer service excellence
- Demonstrated experience providing strong leadership, including supervision, direction and training, to a diverse team of employees
- Focus on food and physical safety and sanitation
- Experience managing food and labor cost controls to meet targets
- High level of computer literacy
- Strong analytical thinking skills
- Experience with on-line ordering and inventory management
The ideal candidate will have:
- Prior food service experience in a management role in a high-volume food production environment with a strong focus on catering, seated meals and buffet style service.
- Ability to support culinary team utilizing systems such as MC, UFS, FMS, SMG, DRIVE or similar systems for ordering, marketing and inventory; maintain an accurate food transfer journal.
- Experience in specialty menu planning such as allergy plates.
- Strong focus on creating a welcoming dining experience through excellent customer service skills, attention to detail and quality food presentation. Must maintain high customer satisfaction and good public relations
- Ability to work independently and in concert with co-managers to manage the daily operations and support our high-end/high volume catering department.
- Excellent time management skills adapt well to dynamic change and is driven to get the job done with excellence in a timely manner.
- A culinary background and the ability to cook about 20% of the time in our resident and retail operations.
Careers in Universities:
Working for Sodexo in Universities allows you to support students on their path to adulthood and academic success. Located on college and university campuses across the country, Sodexo creates clean, safe living and learning environments that inspire and drive success. Student success depends upon so many conditions – when they are well fed, safe, comfortable and learning in a clean, well maintained environment they are more likely to succeed.
Working for Sodexo:
How far will your ambition, talent and dedication take you? Sodexo fosters a culture committed to the growth of individuals through continuous learning, mentoring and other career growth opportunities, along with the performance of organizations. We believe it is important for our work to be meaningful to all who contribute to it, and we remain faithful to our mission, our core values and the ethical principles that have guided us since 1966. We support these values and help them thrive in each employee.
We strive to make working for Sodexo a genuinely great experience with benefits to promote your professional, personal and financial well-being, and to improve your Quality of Life now and into the future. Our experiences with our over 50 million customers each and every day enable us to develop Quality of Life services that reinforce the well-being of individuals, improving their effectiveness and helping companies and organizations to improve performance … every day.
Responsible for inventory management and procurement of food and supplies at an account/unit to ensure client satisfaction and retention for the Company. Manages food production through kitchen staff in a medium facility. Contributes to account revenue and operating profit contribution through cost containment and safety.
- Utilizes Sodexo resources, recipes, systems and programs to direct daily operations including; food production, inventory, product deliveries, invoices, and procurement operations.
- Ensures employees have appropriate equipment, supplies and resources to perform their job, and meet goals, cost controls and deadlines as assigned.
- Establishes and maintains a safe work environment including both food and physical safety in order to comply with all regulatory and Sodexo standards
- Complies with budget requirements by controlling costs (i.e. labor, inventory, equipment, materials) and making adjustments when necessary
- Supervises employees by delegating, assigning and prioritizing activities, and monitoring operating standards