$62,857.60 - $102,668.80 Annually
Arlington *METRO-accessible*, VA
Community Planning, Housing and Development
9/26/2019 11:59 PM Eastern
Arlington County's Department of Community Planning, Housing and Development (CPHD) is currently seeking an Associate Planner to join our award-winning Planning Division!
This position serves as a member of the Current Planning Section in the Planning Division that manages a diverse caseload of special exception site plan and use permit applications, which involves significant analytical and presentation skills (written and verbal) while working with interdepartmental staff members, citizens, and applicants to resolve issues related to assigned projects.
Specific duties include:
- Reviewing special exception - site plan, use permit and other forms of development proposals/applications;
- Ensuring compliance on assigned cases with County Ordinances, plans and policies;
- Coordinating case review with other County departments and state agencies;
- Preparing and ensuring final approval by the County Manager's Office of assigned staff reports for the monthly scheduled public hearings before the Planning Commission, and County Board;
- Creating staff reports with well-reasoned recommendations based on sound planning principles and information relevant to the proposal, and presenting these recommendations to the Planning Commission and County Board;
- Performing research, analysis and planning studies in the areas of general planning, demographics, development, housing, and economic trends;
- Responding to other planning issues, undertaking general planning work, and occasionally being assigned to other projects; and
- Attending meetings, sometimes held during non-business hours, and performing field work at various locations throughout the County.
Minimum : Bachelor's Degree in Urban Planning, Architecture or Landscape Architecture or directly related field, plus progressively responsible experience in urban planning/designing or related field.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year for year basis. A Master's degree in Planning or a closely related field may be substituted for one year of the experience requirement.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Experience in supporting or coordinating local government land use planning processes, including effective and direct engagement with interdepartmental staff, citizens, citizen groups, developers, and elected officials;
- Proficiency in using computer software programs for urban planning analysis and urban design, such ARCGIS, SketchUp 3D modeling software, Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, PhotoShop, etc.;
- Effective project management experience; and
- Master's degree in Planning or related field.
Work hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required to attend community, Planning Commission, and County Board meetings.
Applicants for these positions must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence, or the applicant must have the ability and willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary work site. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide, a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record.
Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Completion of the Commonwealth of Virginia Statement of Economic Interest form will be required of the successful candidate upon hire and annually thereafter.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Arlington County Government employee benefits depend on whether a position is permanent, the number of hours worked, and the number of months the position is scheduled.
Specific information on benefits and conditions of employment can be found on the Arlington County Human Resources Department website: (see application details)
Permanent, Full-Time Appointments
All jobs are permanent, full-time appointments unless otherwise stated in the announcement. The following benefits are available:
Paid Leave : Vacation leave is earned at the rate of four hours biweekly. Leave accrual increases every three years until eight hours of leave are earned biweekly for twelve or more years of service. Sick leave is earned at the rate of four hours biweekly. There are eleven paid holidays each year.
Health and Dental Insurance : Three group health insurance plans are offered - a network open access plan, a point-of-service plan, and a health maintenance organization. A group dental insurance plan is also offered. The County pays a significant portion of the premium for these plans for employees and their dependents. A discount vision plan is provided for eye care needs.
Life Insurance : A group term policy of basic life insurance is provided at no cost to employees. The benefit is one times annual salary. Additional life insurance is available with rates based on the employee's age and smoker/non-smoker status.
Retirement : The County offers three vehicles to help you prepare for retirement: a defined benefit plan, a defined contribution plan (401(a)), and a deferred compensation plan (457). The defined benefit plan provides a monthly retirement benefit based on your final average salary and years of service with the County. You contribute a portion of your salary on a pre-tax basis to this plan. General employees contribute 4% of pay; uniformed public safety employees contribute 7.5% of pay. Employees become vested in the plan at five years of service. The County also contributes to this plan.
For general employees, the County also contributes 4.2% of pay to a defined contribution plan (401(a)) . The County also matches your 457 contribution, up to $20 per pay period, in this plan. The 457 deferred compensation plan allows you to set aside money on either a pre-tax (457b) or post-tax (457 Roth) basis up to the IRS annual limit. New employees are automatically enrolled with a pre-tax contribution equal to 2% of your base pay.
Other Benefits: The County also offers health, dependent care, and parking flexible spending accounts; long-term care insurance; tuition assistance; transit and walk/bike to work subsidies; a college savings plan; wellness programs; training opportunities; and a variety of other employee benefits.
Permanent, Part-Time Appointments:
Part time employees who work ten or more hours per week receive paid leave and benefits in proportion to the number of hours worked per week.
Limited Term Appointments:
Benefits are the same as permanent appointments except that the employees do not achieve permanent status.
Temporary Regular Appointments:
Temporary regular employees who work 30 hours or more per week are eligible for health, dental, and basic life insurance as described above. They are also eligible for vacation, sick leave, and paid holidays.
Temporary Seasonal and Occasional Appointments:
Temporary employees who work on a seasonal basis or variable hours receive sick leave, but do not normally receive other paid leave or benefits. Exceptions are noted in individual announcements.