We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
The Human Rights Campaign is seeking a strategic, innovative and dynamic Senior Vice President (SVP) of Communications and Marketing to provide vision, leadership and direction for HRC's communications. The SVP helps design, shape and execute a comprehensive, multi-faceted communications and marketing program that maintains and augments HRC and the HRC Foundation's position as the leading LGBTQ civil rights organization in America. The SVP will steward the organization's brand, build the public profile of HRC and its campaigns; conceive and execute creative marketing campaigns which support program and development efforts; engage the public through earned and paid media; lead efforts to reach new audiences; and advance the issues of LGBTQ equality in the public dialogue. The SVP will spearhead efforts to weave together organization-wide communications around public policy efforts, electoral campaigns and educational programs. The SVP will lead departments in media, creative and design services, publications and digital engagement and will collaborate on marketing programs with the entire organization.
Reporting to and working closely with Alphonso David, the President of HRC, and Joni Madison, Chief of Staff, the SVP will oversee a Communications and Marketing team of over 30 individuals. The SVP will serve as a member of the Executive team, partnering with team members to uphold HRC's mission, deliver impactful programs and lead in a manner that is consistent with HRC's values.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Create and implement forward-thinking, organization-wide communications and messaging to promote HRC's work, including advocacy, policy and electoral campaigns and educational programs.
- Create innovative messaging to diverse audiences, including the general public as well as the media, policy makers and members.
- Manage all HRC communications and marketing activities, including issues management, brand development, media relations, advertising, collateral development, web communications and social media campaigns, crisis and litigation communications and internal communications.
- Generate strong, positive press coverage and oversee the quality and consistency of message in all organizational materials.
- Provide on-going messaging for key stakeholders to excel in their HRC roles, including HRC staff, volunteers, donors, steering committee members, Board of Governors and Board of Directors.
- Develop and execute high-impact, creative ideas designed to guide long-term positioning and messaging.
- Lead a talented and multi-faceted team of 30+ press and marketing professionals, digital experts, publication specialists and writers.
- Collaborate with the senior management team to create and drive a plan for public and media engagement of the President, and direct speechwriting for President and other senior staff.
- Partner with the development team to maximize revenue and grow membership.
- Manage crisis communications and response.
- 15+ years of experience with exceptional strategic communications and marketing skills.
- Demonstrated track record of success creating and implementing communications strategies for a large, complex organization.
- Significant electoral, legislative and crisis communications experience.
- Superb interpersonal skills, with an impressive history of forging strong and positive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Willingness to take risks and innovate in order to reach new audiences and assure HRC's communications and marketing are on the cutting edge.
- Ability to lead, model and embed, equity diversity and inclusion principles within their teams and across the organization.
- Experience serving as a member of senior leadership teams, working in close partnership with fundraising and advocacy leaders.
- Outstanding public speaking skills, with experience serving as the representative for an organization to the public, particularly in public speaking engagements and with the media.
- Significant management experience and a track record for managing and developing high-performing teams.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to excel under pressure and tight timelines.
- Strong emotional intelligence.
- Commitment to HRC's values including respect, equity and intersectionality, community and teamwork.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmanheinz.com/jobs/
The cover letter should be concise, compelling and outline why you are the right person for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States