Energize your career with one of Healthcare’s fastest growing companies.
You dream of a great career with a great company – where you can make an impact and help people. We dream of giving you the opportunity to do just this. And with the incredible growth of our business, it’s a dream that definitely can come true. Already one of the world’s leading Healthcare companies, UnitedHealth Group is restlessly pursuing new ways to operate our service centers, improve our service levels and help people lead healthier lives. We live for the opportunity to make a difference and right now, we are living it up.
This opportunity is with one of our most exciting business areas: Optum – a growing part of our family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group a Fortune 6 leader.
Optum helps nearly 60 million Americans live their lives to the fullest by educating them about their symptoms, conditions and treatments; helping them to navigate the system, finance their healthcare needs and stay on track with their health goals. No other business touches so many lives in such a positive way. And we do it all with every action focused on our shared values of Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation & Performance.
The Community Based Peer Support Specialist is responsible for using recovery and resiliency strategies with consumers and families, recruiting consumers and families for initiatives, supporting existing consumer initiatives, supporting the grievance process, engaging in quality initiatives; collaborating with Care Managers, providers, and community agencies to support consumer access to needed services; implementing specific projects at the direction of the Recovery / Resiliency Manager and creating and maintaining communication with consumers, youth, families, consumer and family run organizations and providers. A large emphasis of this job is using knowledge and experience with mental health or addiction to form a connection with consumers and / or customers and strategize solutions to meet member or community needs.
- Assist families and consumers with defining their recovery goals, and developing the resiliency skills and knowledge needed for the consumer's recovery
- Support the creation of and assist with the implementation of a comprehensive training and education program with peers, families, providers and staff
- Assist consumers who are dealing with the most complex and difficult issues, including homelessness, trauma, physical health issues, etc.
- Establish and maintain strong collaborative relationships with existing consumer and family organizations
- Effectively communicate plan information to consumers and consumer operated organizations and with families and family organizations as well as consumer and family rights and responsibilities, in addition to a wide array of other topics including clinical policies, analysis of data and program evaluation
- As directed, serve as a designated member of internal committees and subcommittees
- As requested, provide support to family members in making needed appointments
- Work with the Clinical Program Director, Clinical Director and the clinical team to implement care coordination when requested, which may include peer support as well as other community - based services designed to stabilize the consumer's condition, including working with the consumer in the development of a WRAP plan and a Crisis plan
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
1+ years of experience working with the principles of recovery and resiliency
Certified Peer Specialist / Provisional Certified Peer Specialist / Certified Family Support Specialist preferred OR the ability to become certified within 12 months of employment
- Ability to travel up to 75% of the time within the state where the position is located and ability to travel to client and / or patient sites within a designated area
- Experience with Microsoft Word (ability to create correspondence and work with templates), Microsoft Excel (data entry, sort / filter) and Microsoft Outlook (email and calendar management)
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Certified trainer for Mental Health First Aid and QPR Training
- Working knowledge of community resources
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health - related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work. (sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: Optum, UHG, peer support specialist, recovery and resiliency, field based