Senior Human Resources Generalist (Sr Personnel Spec)
SALARY: $34.76 - $40.48 Hourly
LOCATION: Seattle Municipal Tower, 700 5th Ave., Seattle, Washington
JOB TYPE: Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
DEPARTMENT: Seattle Information Technology
BARGAINING UNIT: Not represented
CLOSING DATE: 12/03/19 04:00 PM Pacific Time
Seattle IT (ITD) is recruiting qualified candidates to fill two (2) Senior Human Resources Generalist positions in the Human Resources Office in support of management and employee relations.
As a city, Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice amongst other things, making our City what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization's workforce plays a critical role in making this possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle's complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 700+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-In-Class Digital Services Delivery Team and set best practices for others to follow.
Position Overview & Description:
The Senior Human Resource Generalist (SHRG) is an experienced Human Resources (HR) professional who can confidently perform various HR functions that may include, but not be limited to: recruitment/hiring (end-to-end), employee training, administration of contingent workforce (temporary) services in accordance with the City of Seattle policies and rules; workers' compensation, etc. The SHRG will advise and proactively provide HR service to various professional positions and levels throughout the department.
Seattle IT is three+ years into its consolidation and continuing to integrate teams, optimize operations, execute the strategic agenda, and form its culture. We are looking for a talented professional who has the tenacity to be part of a developing environment and operate as an influential change agent, with a passion for service, community, and technology within the City of Seattle. This person will be a member of a lean, but strong HR team and must be willing to adapt and take on other HR work functions when necessary. To be successful in this position, the person must possess a strong generalist background, have a high level of understanding of HR compliance, principles and practices, while navigating through the City of Seattle's rules and regulations for administering HR functions. We are looking for someone who embodies integrity, strong ethics, and can successfully demonstrate our values, principles, and commitment to equity.
This position reports to the Human Resources Director and will successfully perform the following key responsibilities:
- Serve as main point of contact and act as the subject matter expert (SME) for the assigned HR functions.
- Serve as a business partner and subject matter expert regarding City's temporary employment services.
- Act as a back-up when primary point of contact is out of the office.
- Provide expertise, guidance and coaching for managing highly sensitive and complex HR in accordance with City, State, and Federal laws and regulations; resolve and process issues successfully.
- Partner with HR staff to develop, review, and implement/revise policies, programs, processes and procedures, forms, templates, as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance with Federal and State guidelines by staying abreast of current requirements and trends and communicating and implementing changes necessary to remain compliant.
- Responsible for communicating critical information to employees, managers and HR partners.
- Create and distribute end-user reports as needed, with various frequency & formats and assist internal and external customers in understanding the data.
- Work with HR Strategic Advisor and/or HR Director, and Legal department on complex issues.
- Provide guidance to employees, as it relates to the Seattle IT/City HR policies and procedures.
- Update records, using the City's HRIS.
- Create, maintain, run, and analyze Ad Hoc reports.
- Perform audits according to regulations or as needed.
- Demonstrate Seattle IT Values: Customer Focus, Accountability, Transparency, Innovation, Leadership, and Diversity.
- Maintain strong relationships with Seattle Department of Human Resources partners.
- Additional duties to deliver professional HR services to the department will be assigned by the HR Director at a level commensurate with the position classification.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education, training and experience will be considered for the required qualifications except where specifically noted.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or a related field.
- Two years of responsible, professional personnel administration in the public sector.
Submit cover letter & resume along with NeoGov application.
Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive criminal background investigation in compliance with Seattle's Fair Change Employment Ordinance SMC 14.17.
How to Apply:
- Three to five years' experience practicing as an HR Generalist in a mid to large size organization.
- Experience working with Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS) and databases; ability to create and generate reports.
- Experience in a fast-paced, policy-driven, regulated work environment.
- Working knowledge of the MS Suite (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Visio); strong technical aptitude and computer skill level, to include electronic messaging.
- Excellent priority setting and project/time management skills with the flexibility and adaptability to respond to shifting business needs.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and act tactically.
- Drive for action and collaboration, strong hands-on work ethic, and desire to achieve excellence.
- Passion for innovative HR solutions and processes.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaborative team work and progressive human resource service delivery.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or equivalent HR certification.
Submit cover letter and resume by applying online at www.seattle.gov/jobs or complete an application and drop it off at the Personnel Department, Seattle Municipal Tower, 700 5th Avenue, Suite 5400, Seattle, WA 98124-4028.
The City of Seattle is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity in the workplace.