ImOn Communications is the LOCAL choice for high-speed Internet, cable TV and phone service. We value the relationships we have with colleagues, customers, and members of our community and look forward to serving the area for many years to come. As we expand our service availability we are looking for an Outside Plant Aerial Construction Technician to be a part of the ImOn Difference! Our employees share a passion for Creating Connections One Person at a Time and fostering a fun and rewarding work environment.
The Outside Plant Aerial Construction Technician will perform tasks necessary to build a service order and build activity associated with network facilities (copper, coax, and fiber). Focuses on the overall operations of the network. Conducts routine network operations activities, including translations and other duties involved with the preparation needed prior to installation or the tracking and analysis of network elements. Outside plant construction pathways are either aerial, underground, conduit, direct buried and can be used in any combination depending on the job requirements.
Essential Job Responsibilities for Primary Functional Area of Accountability
- Builds, repairs and maintains major cable system and structures such as broken lashing, replacing or re-sagging aerial strand, pole transfers, down-guys, aerial to underground conversion, substructure repairs and cable replacements related to system outages, maintenance, rebuilds and emergencies or hazards.
- Aerial Telecommunications Construction (Construct aerial network fiber (FTTX), Pole frames, Strand, Lashing, Gigging cable)
- Performs construction work such as digging holes, climbing telephone poles, placing and removing anchors, pulling and stringing wire/cable from pole to pole, laying cable and conduit in the ground.
- Operates power equipment such as generators, blowers and hydraulic aerial lifts mounted on trucks.
- Uses test equipment to check for gas in manholes; may be required to empty water and other debris from manholes.
- Dismantles, moves, and removes aerial, underground or building wire, cable associated equipment, and hardware.
- Connects wires and cables to terminals and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, or poles.
- Responds to and participates in emergency and outage situations that require heavy construction capabilities.
- Ensures that all work considers the safety of the customer and general public and compliance with all governmental orders.
- Able and willing to work outdoors and in inclement weather conditions.
- Some travel involved, occasionally overnight
- All other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Abilities
- Customer Focused: Skilled to demonstrate a high level of service delivery; do with is necessary to ensure customer satisfaction; deal with service failures and prioritize customer needs.
- Problem Solving
- Integrity: Able to assume a role of authority as necessary; advocate new ideas, even when risk is involved; set an example for coworkers delegate responsibility and empower associates to make decisions; provide constructive feedback to others.
- Quality: Able to maintain high standards despite deadlines; establish high standards and measures; do work right the first time and inspect material for flaws; test new methods thoroughly; reinforce excellence as a fundamental priority.
- Attention to Detail: Able to be alert in a high-risk environment; follow detailed procedures and ensure accuracy in documentation and data; carefully monitor gauges, instruments, or processes; concentrate on routine work details, and organize and maintain a system of records.
- Ability to read and interpret architectural, splice documentation, and plant diagrams.
- Ability to operate test equipment such as VOM, test sets, OTDR and Fusion splicers, and Power Source Meters.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in revenue affecting crisis working occasionally under strenuous mental and physical conditions including lifting objects of up to 80 pounds.
- Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires
- Ability to drive Company vehicle in a safe and responsible manner
- Ability to operate appropriate computer or test equipment associated with position
- Ability to prioritize and organize effectively
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work with small components and wires to make cable connections
- Ability to comply with all Company implemented safety procedures
- Knowledge of National Electric Code and National Electrical Safety Code
Required Experience, Training, and Special Qualifications
- 1+ year(s) experience in one or combination of equipment installation, cable splicing, line work, installation and repair.
- Must accommodate after-hours work as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Iowa Driver License with the ability to obtain an Iowa CDL Class DII Driver License for bucket trucks and a driving record that allows employee to be insured by ImOns insurance carrier.
- Aerial only work will require DOT Class B License with an air brake endorsement as well as the ability to gaff and climb poles.
ImOn offers competitive pay, health and dental insurance, 401(k), discounted Cable, Internet & Phone services, and additional perks such as FREE vision insurance, FREE life insurance and FREE short term/long term disability, as well as vacation & holiday pay, and community volunteer opportunities.
If you are interested in being a part of the ImOn Difference please apply today