Status: Part-time/Temporary/Seasonal position, non-exempt
Duration of Assignment: December to February
Salary: $14.00 to $16.00 per hour
Locations: Outdoor Ice Rinks in Eden Prairie
Hours: Hours are typically late afternoons, evenings, weekends, and holidays
Start date: December 11, 2019 through March 1, 2020
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Sr. Recreation Supervisor
The Recreation Services Division has the responsibility for managing all recreation facilities and providing a variety of affordable recreation programs and services for all age groups and people of all abilities. The staff in this division are responsible for the management of facilities such as the Community Center, the Senior Center, and the Outdoor Center, as well as all other City park buildings and recreation facilities such as swimming beaches, sledding hill, amphitheatre and facilities on school property that are operated in partnership with the School District such as the Oak Point Pool and tennis courts at CMS.
The Outdoor Ice Rink & Warming House Coordinator provides assistance to the Sr. Recreation Supervisor – Youth and Family with the operations of the outdoor ice rinks and warming house facilities during the winter. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Assists in the supervision of rink attendants by providing direction, monitoring activities, assisting in coordinating all staffing schedules, organizing replacements for scheduled shifts or filling in for shifts not able to be filled.
- Ensures all rinks are staffed at all times during the scheduled hours of operation by contacting each rink at the start of the shift. Be the replacement to a location if unable to find a substitute to a unstaffed location.
- Monitors all activities at the outdoor rinks regarding the public to ensure a safe, clean, well-maintained facility.
- Maintains warming house log books, utilization forms, equipment and facility checklists as well as completing the end of season daily use compilations.
- Organizes and prepares warming houses for opening day and oversees ongoing warming house operations including maintaining stock of facility forms and first aid materials and coordinating special activities.
- Assists in the coordination of private rentals by the public.
- Helps with the coordination of weather related closings/openings.
- Travels to warming houses to check each warming house attendant while they are on duty.
- Notifies the Sr. Recreation Supervisor regarding performance issues with staff, and status of facilities or public requests.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees may be called upon to perform a variety of duties in their roles with the City.
Education: High School Diploma preferred
Work Experience: 1-3 years of experience providing work direction and/or supervising staff; a minimum of 3 years experience working with facilities required.
Physical Requirements: This position requires the ability to lift/pull/push/move/carry up to 50 lbs, bend/stand/reach, and ice skate at a recreational level.
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks throughout the shift; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the organization; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; is prepared and punctual to all scheduled shifts.
Sound Judgment: Able to make a decision based on the right mixture of facts; determines a course of action after weighing and analyzing different options.
City of Eden Prairie Employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
1. Criminal history
*All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City's evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Application Process
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Review Applications: As received
Start Date: Monday, December 2, 2019 (Mandatory Orientation)