The Anne Arundel Medical Center Diabetes Center is a recognized diabetes self-management program by the American Diabetes Association. The educator will be responsible for individual and group teaching, regulatory and quality reporting requirements, and the coordination of other Diabetes Center activities and services. The educator works in a collaborative management structure with a Department Director, Inpatient Diabetes Educator, Financial Coordinator, and MedStar Program Coordinator. The educator is closely involved with operations, clinical management and the strategic direction of the Diabetes Center.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Supports the vision, mission, and goals of the medical center through behaviors that foster professionalism, empowerment, teamwork, productivity, and customer satisfaction.
- Functions as an expert clinical resource in diabetes management and fosters interdisciplinary collaboration by serving on hospital-based service line committees.
- Promotes and utilizes customer service data for improvement of diabetes services provided to the Medical Center community.
- Ensures effective on-going team communication and information sharing at inter and intra levels of assigned areas.
- Participates in selection, evaluation, and professional development activities of employees consistent with personnel policies and procedures.
- Graduation from a school of nursing with licensure as a Registered Nurse or Registered Dietician by the State of Maryland.
- Prior experience in providing diabetes education, medical nutrition therapy for Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes is required.
- Three years staff nursing experience with at least one year in diabetes specialty and one year demonstrated clinical leadership role.
- Certification as a Diabetes Educator from the American Association of Diabetes Educators or is eligible.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.