The focus of this positon is to ensure that commercial colorants will enhance overall coating performance and that other team members understand the chemistry behind the observed product performance characteristics. The broader context is the interaction of all the components involved in paint formulation and how they create the matrix of desired performance characteristics and physical properties.
This role will encompass the entire product development cycle, from lab scale through the pilot process and in support of full production scale manufacturing. This position requires a high degree of analysis, innovation and creative problem solving. Projects will often be challenging, complex and demanding in nature. This position will be a key technical leader on a variety of coatings innovation and dispersion related projects. There will be collaborative projects with other research and product development groups to improve existing formulations and drive innovation to maintain Benjamin Moore's leading position in architectural coatings technology.
This position is part of the Benjamin Moore & Co. Product Development Team, reporting into the Manager of the Color Development Laboratory. This position regularly interacts with the Procurement and Production teams. Additionally, there will be interaction with all other Product Development and Research teams.
* Innovation and optimization of color dispersion technologies
* Designs and executes experiments, draws conclusions, and makes recommendations
* Lead and/or contribute to cross functional R&D projects
* Function under limited supervision and be able to independently design experiments and write reports with limited review
* Manage major initiatives and projects
* Collaborate on cross-functional teams in the development of technical platforms and initiatives
* Accountable for contributing solutions to moderately complex projects
* Communicate detailed ideas clearly and concisely through written communication by writing technical reports.
* Comply with and displays knowledge of all safety and security regulations and maintain a clean work area
* Travel for technical conferences and product commercialization support
* Train or mentor new or lower level chemists and technicians
* Other duties as assigned.
* PhD in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Coatings Technology, Materials Science or related fields,
* MS with 5+ years or BS with 8+ years direct industrial experience in the Coatings, Adhesives, Sealant or Elastomers (CASE) industries or closely related field
* Experience in formulating and evaluating color pigment dispersions is a plus
* Must be outwardly focused to capture and apply new coatings technologies
* Identify, explore and prove feasibility of novel product chemistries
* Excellent communication, organization and presentation skills
* High-level proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite of products
* Strong organization skills
* Strong trouble shooter/ problem solver
* Highly motivated and a self-starter
* Strong project / process management skills, self-directed, detail oriented and organized
* Physical effort and dexterity: This role can entail some amount of lifting (40-50#).
* Visual acuity, hearing, speaking: This role entails identifying the proper materials to use, and communicating with those around you.
* Environment and scheduling: This role can involve scale-up at manufacturing facilities that may be hot or cold depending on the time of year. In these instances more noise may be encountered (noise protection is supplied). Chemicals are used in the paint making process (proper PPE is outlined and supplied). Travel is involved as needed to attend scale-ups, alpha testing, and seminars/trade shows.