Wireless Power Silicon Architect
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Oct 3, 2019
Role Number: 200108777
Do you love tackling big challenges that require exceptionally creative solutions? Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming outstanding products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Position Overview: This is an excellent opportunity to work on the forefront of new and exciting wireless power technologies with the outstanding company consistently bringing innovations in the industry. In this position, you will be part of a team developing innovative concepts, and key mixed-signal ICs that are implemented in products used by many millions of people. The position primarily involves advanced power architecture development and key power management ICs for Apple's next generation wireless power technology spanning across almost all Apple products including both wireless power transmitters (Tx) and wireless power receivers (Rx). This is a unique opportunity for "out of the box thinker" who can enable innovative technologies and outstanding integrations for next generation wireless power systems in Apple products. This is an unrivaled opportunity to work with the best architects and system designers in Apple and shape its innovative products. New challenges arise every day that require the sharp problem-solving skills of hardworking and smart individuals. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that cultivates engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation.
- Ideal candidate is one with work experience in analog, mixed-signal, and/or power management semiconductor/silicon companies.
- Candidate must have deep knowledge and intimate familiarity of all analog blocks such as amplifiers, comparators, current mirror, bandgap, etc.
- Experience and familiarity with main power management blocks such as DC-DC converters, low-dropout regulator (LDO), synchronous rectifier (SR), inverter, charge pumps, etc. is must.
- Good understanding of mixed-signal design such as ADC, DAC, PLL etc. fundamentals of magnetic design, and firmware design flow is a plus.
- Candidate must have direct experience of power supply design and possess deep knowledge of DC-DC power conversion topologies including digital controls loop.
- Candidate must be intimately familiar with DC-DC IC architectures, PCB layout, and state-of the art techniques for integration and efficiency optimizations.
- Candidate must have good understanding of thermals, mechanical and packaging challenges and knowledge of high volume manufacturing technologies and production variance
- Candidate must be able to use of transistor-level and behavioral simulation tools, such as Cadence, Simplis, and Matlab, etc. and mathematical analysis tools such as MathCad, Excel, etc.
- Candidate must have deep knowledge of silicon physics and silicon processes including IC packaging technologies.
- Candidate must be familiar with challenges of mixed-signal IC design, know the complete methodology of mixed-signal IC from a concept to a product, and possess knowledge and experience with both analog and digital design with an emphasis on analog.
- Candidate must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, solid collaboration, and leadership skills.
- Candidate must have strong analytical/problem solving skills and ability to guide critical decisions
- Candidate must be highly motivated, self-starter with innovation, integrity and attention to details.
- Ability to work well with cross-functional teams and in a fast paced innovative work environment is very important
- Candidate must be willing to travel domestically and overseas as needed
As a Wireless Power Silicon Architect, you will be driving innovative power architecture /technology concepts, system level partitioning and define wireless power ICs from investigation, analysis, and design through successful product level implementation. 1. Core architecture and technology investigation by arbitrating various options with technical rigor for key power metric performance optimization including but not limited to efficiency, power density, cost, reduced carbon foot print and scalability. 2. Be a key member for Apple's core architecture team for new product ideas and system level partitioning, integrations and product definitions. 3. Cross-disciplinary design optimization, hardware/software design partitioning, trade-off assessments, design checking and tolerance analysis. 4. Author detailed specifications, analyses, and characterization plans for wireless power custom silicons. 5. Concept verification and validation with simulations and prototype design, lead pre-silicon system validation, prototype bring-up, debug, validation, characterization, and post-silicon module integration support. 6. Perform rigorous design reviews with silicon vendors. Drive vendors to get the highest quality of products in a very challenging schedule. 7. Provide design simulation, calculation and analytical models for prediction of design concept outcome including control loop stability, transient responses, layout analysis and parasitic extractions. 8. Drive/develop advanced algorithms to ensure module performance by working closely with firmware and other multi-functional teams. 9. Provide prototypes test and validation results, document multi-dimensional activities. Hands-on work in lab is must. 10. Provide smooth hand-off of new architecture to execution team with design analysis, risk assessments, mitigation plans, development lessons learned and proof of concepts. 11. Perform bold bench marking. 12. Provide technical support for production issues debug and resolutions. 13. Drive bug root cause analysis and resolution, including diligent bug database tracking. 14. Engage and collaborate with multi-functional teams, including silicon engineering, system engineering, product design, firmware engineering, test engineering, program management and process engineering, to deliver state-of-the-art wireless power solutions. 15. Author presentations that communicate program status, technical issues, risks, and mitigations plans, clearly and concisely. 16. Contribute technical assessments to strategic decision-making relating to technology and investments. 17. Conduct power seminars and training for multi-functional teams. 18. Spearhead innovation through exemplary behavior and teamwork.
Education & Experience
MS in EE with 10+ years or Ph.D. in EE with 5+ years of experience in analog and/or power management IC design is must.