IC Designer - Power Management
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: May 4, 2020
Role Number: 200001362
Did you know that you could design custom analog integrated circuits at Apple? Our team is looking to hire inventive analog designers for the purpose of power management ICs. You can work with a team with dynamic strengths to push the limits of DC-DC converters. Partner with us to develop bucks, boosts, buck-boosts, charge pumps, chargers, or LDOs. Additionally this role covers IC areas closely related to power converter IPs such as mixed signal circuits, switch-cap, filters, data converters, references, input-output circuits, and clock circuits just to name a few. Do you want to design circuits for Apple in a constructive and engaging group? As a power management IC designer you can also work with system engineers and architects. Together you will work on exciting problems and help build amazing products. If so we are looking for you.
- Do you have the following characteristics? We usually ask that you have at least 3 years of experience in industry for ICs going into production.
- Proven experience with optimization of voltage regulator high level architecture and low level circuits; knowing which are suitable for given applications.
- Familiarity with buck, boost, LDOs, band-gaps, bias, comparators, and op-amps
- Versed in the electrical characteristics and physical construction of capacitors and inductors.
- Qualified to review and provide feedback for printed circuit board designs from a power perspective and associated I/O.
- Device physics knowledge in regards to analog and power such as transistor operation, optimization, parasitics, and performance.
- We seek engineers skilled in analog IC design CAD tools and analysis flows to complete the designs for tapeout
- Experience modeling circuits in Matlab, VerilogA, Python, or C for concepts prior to implementation.
- Validate analog/power designs on a lab bench using spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, signal generators, etc.
- Design with thorough testability; write test plans for trim and calibration; collaborate with test engineers.
In this role, you will be responsible for transistor-level designs of various blocks in ICs including both DC-DC converters and related auxiliary IPs. You may start with early feasibility studies of new concepts/designs and carry them through implementation, simulation, layout, and production. We work in a team environment to build sophisticated power management solutions for Apple products. Collaboration within and outside of our group is an integral part of our work.
Build concepts to overcome engineering problems in complex power systems.
Design blocks and documenting design towards formal design reviews
Collaborate with mask design to construct layout collaterals
Navigate through optimizations of power, area and performance or power IC designs
Develop subcell and IP-level simulations to validate designs
Define production and bench evaluation plans for post-silicon activities.
Take bench measurements to validate your own IC designs.
Review bench and production test results to drive bug fixes.
Complete designs considering ESD compliance of the circuits
Education & Experience
Master of Science or Doctorate in Electrical Engineering preferred