Acoustic Engineer - Loudspeaker
Culver City , California , United States
Posted: May 15, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200072247
The Acoustics team at Beats Electronics is responsible for the acoustic design and overall sound quality of music playback on Beats products. We share a passion for music, audio acoustics and developing the highest quality sound systems. We are a dynamic, innovative and fast-paced team based in sunny Culver City, CA. We are seeking an acoustic engineer to conceive and develop innovative loudspeaker products that sound terrific!
- Experience developing acoustic systems for high-fidelity loudspeaker applications
- Expertise in lumped-parameter modelling of loudspeaker transducers and systems; FEA/BEM is a plus
- Understanding of transducer components and experience specifying and evaluating audio transducers
- Excellent applications-level knowledge of audio electronics, signal processing, and tuning techniques for powered loudspeakers
- Working knowledge of audio analyzers - e.g. Klippel R&D/QC, Listen SoundCheck, Audio Precision APx
- Competency in statistical data analysis; competency with Matlab is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with high-volume, off-shore manufacturers and able to travel
In this role, you will establish acoustic performance targets for new loudspeaker products, conceive and develop prototypes to meet these targets, and communicate system performance expectations and results. You will work independently on product development teams, interacting with Beats/Apple engineering counterparts (e.g. AE, EE, ME, ID, QA, etc.), and with finished-product contract manufacturers, as the main point of contact for loudspeaker system acoustics, ensuring that acoustic design objectives are maintained. You will specify loudspeaker design verification requirements, and be responsible for the proper implementation and documentation of these measurements. You will collaborate with transducer and tuning engineer colleagues on our acoustic team to optimize overall system sound performance. You will provide oversight on loudspeaker assembly and production test processes and implementations, monitor contract manufacturer production acoustic test results, and visit their facilities, to ensure product performance and quality requirements are met with a high degree of consistency. You will conceive and explore innovative areas of loudspeaker research, and mentor associate engineers in these areas and on development projects.
Education & Experience
BS or MS, or equivalent, with specialization in acoustics 5+ years experience developing loudspeakers Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics.