Engineering Manager, Maps POI
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Apr 14, 2020
Role Number: 200164005
The Apple Maps Places of Interest (POI) team is looking for a great hands-on Senior Engineering Manager. You will be managing a team of senior systems engineers that builds the platform to process, curate, and manage the POI data that is used in Maps. You will be directly responsible for growing, mentoring, and developing this team. POI is a key pillar of the overall Maps product so you will be able to directly influence the success and future of the Maps product and beyond.
- Hands on engineering manager able to understand problems and designs at a very low level to understand the challenges of both engineers and end users
- Expected to contribute to and challenge decisions related to Architecture, Development and Operational processes, Product and Features.
- Leadership, communication, presentation, and network building skills
- Proven experience growing and managing teams through rapid growth (implementing processes to shield engineers without obscuring the problems at hand)
- Experience designing distributed systems/services for scale
- Experience working with: Cassandra, SOLR, Spark, Hadoop and similar technologies in production contexts at scale
The POI platform is used by a wide variety of different teams within Apple beyond just the Maps team. Good accuracy, coverage, and richness of the POI data is what ensures a good user experience for Maps. This is a challenging problem as POI data is ever changing. In addition to the volatility of the data, the mapping space is growing with new and exciting features being proposed constantly. The Maps team is looking for Engineering Managers who can thrive in this fast-paced workplace where both individual drive and team collaboration are keys to success. You will be expected to thoroughly understand the systems and their interdependencies, in order to effectively evaluate asks and push back and/or suggest alternatives. TO BE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES MUST HAVE: - strong interpersonal and communication skills - be self-starters with a strong sense of personal responsibility and ownership - comfortable with unknowns and have a learning mindset Finally, you will be helping to care for a system that serves the passions and needs of millions of customers, so we're looking for somebody who can be equally passionate!
Education & Experience
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field - 10+ years in Software Engineering Roles with a focus on back-end systems - BS/MS in Computer Science or related field - 10+ years in Software Engineering Roles with a focus on back-end systems - 7+ years in a Software Engineering Management Roles