Solutions Engineering Manager
Austin , Texas , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Jun 3, 2020
Role Number: 200173490
Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! Join Apple's Enterprise Technology Services group as an Engineering Manager to lead, manage, and innovate the next version of Apple's global intranet used by all Apple employees to access training, support, device management, and a diverse collection of software applications. The Enterprise Technology Services team at Apple primarily focuses on creative ways to engineer solutions to meet the growing business needs of Apple's public and internal identity management, manufacturing and business integrations, collaboration solutions, and security efforts. These solutions are based on cutting edge enterprise technologies including server-side Java, web technologies, Cocoa, Oracle and no-SQL databases, machine leaning, and cloud technologies. As a member of the Emerging Technology Shared Solutions management team, you will play a critical role in leading and shaping a new systems architecture and technical direction for the intranet platform and technologies you will own and lead. You will work with project managers and corporate partners to ensure high quality timely work. Qualified candidates have a software engineering background in architecture, design, and development experience building critical applications. Sound judgement, excellent oral and written communication skills, and strong technical leadership with the ability to drive decisions through consensus and influence is a must.
- At least 5 years work running internet-facing web application engineering teams.
- An outstanding body of work demonstrating the successful delivery of a wide variety of secure software solutions.
- Able to remotely run co-located employees and consultants in different time zones.
- Experience evaluating annual performance and planning compensation.
- Exceptional software engineering background with language agnostic approach. Comfortable working hands-on with PHP and Java with a preference towards Java.
- Production experience with container and orchestrations technologies; Docker and Kubernetes preferred.
- Able to balance supporting legacy technology while simultaneously re-engineering for the future.
- Outstanding communication, collaboration, attention to detail, and project management skills.
- Ability to accurately manage scope and timelines for multiple projects, always delivering exceptional results on time. Consistent record balancing several high-priority tasks.
- Must be local or willing to relocate to Austin, TX.
- Deliver highly available, reliable, and innovative software solutions to a wide variety of unique business challenges. - Provide leadership and expertise to define solutions architecture and strategies at all layers, for Apple's next generation intranet platform with a focus on security and scalability. - Manage a portfolio of multiple projects, setting priorities with measurable objectives, monitoring and reporting on the process, progress and results. - Own ultimate responsibility for the deliverables, working with support and daily operations team to ensure 7x24 operation. - Effectively communicate program status to senior management and functional partners on a regular basis. - Keep current on emerging technologies and find ways to apply them with measurable return on investment. - Influence technical excellence in software development and solution design. - Provide technical guidance, direction, and problem solving to engineering team members with an eye towards testing, continuous integration and software hygiene. - Contribute to standard software engineering processes and improve development methodologies over time. - Provide staffing coordination and planning to achieve timely delivery of multiple, concurrent initiatives.
Education & Experience
A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science (or equivalent industrial experience) is required.