Hybrid Cloud Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Jun 3, 2020
Role Number: 200171284
Come help us build the next generation cloud platform to support Internet services across Apple. In Cloud Infrastructure, we build and run systems that form the foundation for some of Apple's most exciting services, including iCloud, Maps, iTunes, and more. In this role, you will have the unique opportunity to own and deliver key components in a new platform that will power Apple's growing suite of infrastructure and customer-facing services. We are looking for a world-class software engineer to design and develop a new hybrid cloud platform for managing infrastructure across in-house and third-party cloud providers. Experience running services and infrastructure in public cloud providers is essential, and practical knowledge of Terraform, Kubernetes, Pulumi, Spinnaker, and other cloud-native ecosystems is highly valued. We're looking for someone with a consistent track record of building enterprise platforms - but we value potential as highly as experience. You'll be familiar with the broader fields of Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and cloud resource management, and you're excited by the prospect of working collaboratively with other engineering teams and internal customers. You will be able to demonstrate a strong practical understanding of how to develop and operate practical, fault-tolerant high-performance distributed systems, and will have influence over the tools, APIs, and architecture that form the foundation of the platform. You're also excited about applying practical systems-level knowledge to understand and solve problems under and over the hood.
- Proficiency in at least one infrastructure as code technology and one modern programming language
- Experience or interest in building enterprise platforms that enable large-scale management of multifaceted cloud resources
- Strong understanding of infrastructure provisioning, cloud security, and cost management in public cloud environments (e.g. AWS, Azure, or GCP)
- Passion for writing high-quality, reliable code; unit and integration tests; and clear and concise documentation
- Familiarity or willingness to learn Golang, Python, Java, and TypeScript
- Understanding and practical experience with HTTP, DNS, RPC frameworks, databases, and operating systems
- Experience in designing, implementing, and managing systems that offer self-service and self-healing capabilities
Develop platform services and frameworks for hybrid cloud management, building on and contributing to open source IaC technologies like Terraform and Pulumi.
Work closely with internal customers to understand their requirements and workflows, and propose new features and ecosystem changes to streamline their experience using the platform.
Drive new components and features from concept to release: design, build, test, and ship at a regular cadence.
Share ownership of the team's codebases, service architecture, tools, and developer experience and maintain a high-quality bar to ensure optimal development velocity.
Build solutions that integrate open source software with Apple's internal ecosystem and third-party cloud provider APIs.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals and a pragmatic approach for building software
- Knowledge of Kubernetes, containerization technologies, Spinnaker, and cloud orchestration are a plus
- Excitement for Agile methodologies, including pair programming, TDD, and continuous delivery of software
- Great communication skills and a deep sense of ownership for small tasks and large projects alike