Software Quality Engineering Manager, Apple Pay
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Jul 2, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200179164
Apple Pay is growing! Envision what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming excellent products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The Apple Pay organization strives to build payment solutions that are easy to use, secure, and a private way to pay on the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac. You'll be joining a team of extraordinary engineers and interacting every single day with teams that span across Apple including iOS software and hardware engineering, iCloud engineering, iTunes engineering, and our network and banking partners. We are looking for a talented leader in software quality engineering who strongly believes in "good enough is never enough" to take our capabilities in automation, tools, process, and effectiveness to the next level. This position will provide management leadership, technical leadership, and strategic direction to the quality engineering team. In this role, you will have an opportunity to improve quality and accelerate the delivery of Apple Pay software and be involved in all phases and layers of the application having a direct impact on the experience of millions of customers.
- 5+ years experience developing and testing large scale customer-facing internet systems with complex distributed integrations
- 3+ years of experience managing elite software engineers
- Java specialist with strong object-oriented programming experience
- Strong background in designing and architecting automation solutions
- Expertise with continuous deployment systems using Maven, GIT, and Jenkins; define branching, tagging, and code merging strategies
- Expertise with restful web services, structured query language, relational and non-relational databases
- Strong understanding of performance engineering concepts, and tools; influence architecture and design decisions
- Good understanding of security fundamentals; authentication, authorization, cryptography, etc.
- Experience building analytics platform with microservices architecture
- Ability to communicate within the team and cross-functionally
- Ability to act as a technical leader to: increase production uptime through process and automation, increase test coverage through automation, reduce customer-impacting defects, identify high risk/reward opportunities and make informed risk-based decisions maximizing chances of success and promote software testing standards and mentor engineers in the team
As a leader, you will build, develop, and retain a high-performing team of quality and software engineers and create an environment where they can thrive and succeed. You act as a visible role model for your team when it comes to getting things done, meeting, and exceeding expectations. Your skills in relationship management and partnership are top-notch as this role requires working with management and engineering leadership, developers, quality engineers, EPM's, and SRE's who take pride in building outstanding scalable solutions. You will work in an agile software development environment and continuously enhance our automation infrastructure to move towards continuous deployment where every code change is thoroughly tested and considered ready to be deployed. You should be frenzied about building iOS and java server infrastructure that is stable, maintainable, and scalable enabling automation of impenetrable use-cases at pace with product feature development. Besides, you will be the quality DRI on product features. To be successful, you will need to track and communicate release readiness, identify any gaps, and consistently assess new and innovative ways to improve automation solutions. While the primary role is leading/managing employees, you should have deep technical knowledge on distributed systems and cloud computing, platform as a service, microservices architecture, and can quickly understand and respond to peer teams' needs. It is also expected that you have strong experience working with short release cycles, do not hesitate to code, and actively participate in design and code reviews.
Education & Experience
BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience