We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
The Project One America Field Organizer (Alabama and Mississippi) position reports to the Project One America Alabama and Mississippi State Directors and will be based in Alabama .
The Field Organizer will work with the Alabama and Mississippi State Directors to execute HRC's political and educational organizing activities in Alabama and Mississippi, including maintaining and expanding HRC's ability to mobilize grassroots advocacy on behalf of LGBTQ legislative priorities, designing and implementing grassroots electoral and campaign strategies in support of candidates, legislative priorities, and ballot initiatives, and developing issue-based organizing plans for assigned areas. The Field Organizer will also work to increase HRC's visibility and presence in Alabama and Mississippi and build strong partnerships with state and local LGBTQ and allied organizations.
Under the direction of the Project One America Alabama and Mississippi State Directors, the Field Organizer will do the following:
- Strategic Political Plans : Implement the goals of the strategic political and education plans for Alabama and Mississippi, and assist in ensuring the integration of these plans into HRC's strategic legislative, electoral, membership, education, and communication goals with appropriate benchmarks
- Field and Volunteer grassroots support: Be responsible for day-to-day support for volunteer advocacy in Alabama and Mississippi ,provide assistance to political, educational, and volunteer activities of HRC members and other activists as outlined in the Alabama and Mississippi strategic plan.
- Increase the number of activists identified and willing to take action in relationship with HRC.
- Ensure the vitality of our state and local volunteer network and further its growth in support of Project One America goals.
- Develop methods to increase our grassroots network.
- Manage field and other campaign programs such as voter registration, member mobilization, voter contact, communications, and get-out-the-vote activities in assigned campaigns.
- Federal, state, and municipal electoral activities: Work with Alabama and Mississippi State Directors to implement electoral strategies to support HRC-endorsed candidates, as well as provide assistance to HRC-supported legislative and ballot initiative campaigns in their region.
- Federal, state, and municipal advocacy: Implement strategies and campaigns for supporting federal, state, and municipal legislation and advocacy efforts in Alabama and Mississippi, and provide technical support and assistance to maximize HRC's in-district lobbying efforts in coordination with local volunteers, with special attention to targeted areas.
- Faith advocacy: Help develop faith-based strategies and goals for work in the state. Identify, develop, train, and engage faith leaders for media, advocacy, programming, facilitated dialogues, and public education efforts in priority faith communities, including White Evangelicals, Latinx Christians, and Black Protestants. Mobilize people of faith in Alabama and Mississippi to support municipal and other campaigns. Identify opportunities and implement tactics to highlight the support of faith communities, specifically among evangelicals.
- Special constituents: Build strong relationships in selected constituencies in Alabama and Mississippi, including people of color, transgender communities, religious communities, youth, business communities, and others. Participate in strategic partnerships with other organizations and groups to support HRC's outreach and increase HRC's visibility.
- Training : Participate in the design and implementation of training programs for volunteers and supporters in Alabama and Mississippi.
- Membership : Organize educational, political, and membership events in collaboration with HRC staff and volunteer teams.
- Coalition work: Participate in strategic partnerships with key stakeholders as well as state and local organizations in Alabama and Mississippi, both LGBTQ and straight allies, to collaborate and develop efforts to advance the goals of Project One America and the LGBTQ movement. Lead efforts to improve field organizing among coalition partners; lead HRC's efforts to partner effectively with state and local LGBTQ organizations in Alabama and Mississippi.
- Voter File Management: Manage the state voter database and track election activities across the state. Ensure volunteer activities are regularly updated in the system.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience with at least 2-3 years of experience in legislative advocacy, electoral campaigns, or field organizing, and a demonstrated record of successful coalition-building required.
- Must be able to travel extensively between Alabama and Mississippi.
- Flexibility with work schedule is required; this position requires some evening and weekend work.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have excellent speaking and writing skills and strong verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience with organizing in communities of color, low-income and marginalized communities.
- Knowledge of campaign software like VAN, Mobilize, and other programs required.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Word and Excel) and Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs, and Drive).
- Ability to assist in the development of training curriculum and conduct workshops.
- Ability to assess political situations and develop appropriate campaign strategies.
- Strong interest in the rapidly changing LGBTQ equality movement and a working knowledge of LGBTQ issues.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.
Birmingham, Alabama, United States